Problems that should be fixed…

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Problems that should be fixed…

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stealth Stealth 14 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mika-Jokela
    Mika-Jokela
    Participant

I spotted today when I was demoing the table(T80 and 32Rack), that there isn’t delay compensation.. For examble I was driving snare to master and also on mono group, byt when I lift the mono group up you get phase shift to higher freqs.. Also when I was using computer as same time as the surface… I was doing a test like taking powers down from surface and the audio still keeps coming from the rack, but I wonder why the sofgtware on the computer went also down.. It would be good back up otherwise… I mean if you get power down somehow on the FOH, still you would have laptop running the ****..

Thanks
    Mika Jokela

Profile photo of mdsaudio
    mdsaudio
    Participant

Hi Mika,
    The comb filtering you noticed is normal when double bussing a signal to one output. This is normal for any digital console due to differing latencies on the two signal paths. Double bussing is usually considered bad practice, is there a particular reason you are wanting to do this? With correct gain structure it should never be necessary. If you are using the group to feed a separate physical output it should be unassigned from L/R.
    Darren

Mika-Jokela
    Participant

Hi!

I’m double bussing because of compression… Like parallel compression.
    Like keeping the channel clean and then compressing hell out of bus, and
    then mixing them. So you got much more dynamic sound, but still tighter.
    And I know why this comb filttering is coming. But it’s usually fixed with things like
    delay compensation.. At least in reccording softwares ;).. I can check today does nobody else’s console have this same problem.
    Because I’m now at audio fair.. And here’s lots of digital desks..
    And here’s a link for you Darren, if you haven’t heard of parallel compression….
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_compression

Profile photo of josiaspicone
    josiaspicone
    Participant

Hello

I used in this way: I send teh signal by two mono groups, and unassigned that channel from Mains, then I turn on one compressor.

Sorry about my Tarzan style english[:D]

Solo se que no se nada

Mika-Jokela
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by josiaspicone

Hello

I used in this way: I send teh signal by two mono groups, and unassigned that channel from Mains, then I turn on one compressor.

Sorry about my Tarzan style english[:D]

Solo se que no se nada

Thanks!! That’s one to do that.

Mika

Profile photo of Tuejo
    Tuejo
    Participant

Some of the digi consoles out there has got automatic delay compensation. A&H should offer this and it should be possible since the delay is the same as they use the same plugs and sub groups throughout the mixer. It is much harder once you offer third party plugins.

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Mika

with regards to parrallel compression, you could source 2 input channels from the same sockets, so the same signal over 2 seperate input channels then mix the 2 seperate input channels together to create the same effect?

With regards to your other question, connecting editor and the surface loosing power.
    To avoid Editor loosing connection if the surface was to loose power. Connect to the mixrack only, this way if the surface was to loose power editor will stay connected as a back-up surface.

Note. Make sure your virtual surface on Editor exactly matches your hardware surface to avoid any incompataility issues

Hope this helps
    Sam A&H

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.