Why can`t i “recall safe” the gain?

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Why can`t i “recall safe” the gain?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of tonzwerg tonzwerg 14 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

Whats the reason the gain section is taken out of recall safe?
    If i want to put an channel on recall safe, then i want not to change the PAD, or the gain – so why is the gain section taken out of the recall safe?

Albin

Using iLive T112 and IDR32

Profile photo of sound
    sound
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by albin

… – so why is the gain section taken out of the recall safe?

From the manual:
    This is because preamps can be patched to any input
    channel, may be mapped to more than one channel, or used
    as sources to other parts of the system which may not be
    associated with the channel you want to make safe.

But you’re right – there should be a global option to include the preamp. I already asked for it – lets hope it is included soon.

Greetings,
    Walter

Profile photo of dschmoldt
    dschmoldt
    Participant

That’s a problem. In theatre, you might have an actor with a sore throat, an understudy, etc. So the gain needs to be adjusted in each scene. Not having a traditional analogue gain control to tweak, I would really need to be able to Recall Safe the gain.

If I *did* have the socket mapped to several channels, I’d still think I’d normally need to make the same gain adjustment on all inputs.

I would vote to allow gain recall safe by default, with an option to disable it for those who don’t want it.

I’m not getting my iLive-T until January. Maybe this much-needed feature will be added by then.

Dave

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

Gets my vote, would be handy

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by dschmoldt

In theatre, you might have an actor with a sore throat, an understudy, etc. So the gain needs to be adjusted in each scene.

Thats why I only store channel mutes,levels,sends and routing for any actor channel in theatre show scenes. That way you can make changes to any gain,eq,dynamics settings etc on the fly without subsequent scenes resetting everything. To do this you need to first set up a scene with the custom store settings you require (edit scene and remove input channel processing etc for the actor channels) then copy this to multiple scenes. Then at show rehearsals just hit UPDATE scene (don’t ever store all!). At the end of each rehearsal go back to scene 1 and store all and this will back up all gain/eq/processing etc. If there is a problem during a show – just change the gain – or eq etc as these settings won’t be reset with any scene recalls other than Scene 1. No need to use input safe mode at all and you still have recalled levels/mutes, sends etc. I generally don’t store any ouptut settings either for similar reasons. You can then freely eq FOH, monitors, change levels etc for differing crowd sizes and so on. Works for me!
    Stix
    T112 IDR48

Profile photo of papromike
    papromike
    Participant

Great Idea , keep an eye out in upcoming firmware..

Profile photo of tonzwerg
    tonzwerg
    Participant

version 1.54…still no change for this item.
    a global switch in mixer preferences like “copy reset / scene safe includes preamp” would be great.
    this allows you to decide whether you want to copy the preamp with channel selects and therefore also keep it scene safe or not. i think this makes sense.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.