Touch Screen Stylus?

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Touch Screen Stylus?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Wolfgang Wolfgang 14 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Some of our volunteers either have big fingers or for some reason their fingers and the touchscreen don’t get along. What is the best “stylus” to use? An old Palm Pilot one? A pencil eraser?

I saw a couple people mention this in the suggestions topic. But I was wondering if there is any “official” statement.

Thanks!

Tim Gibson
    Tech Director
    EV Free Church
    Crystal Lake, IL

Profile photo of robc
    robc
    Participant

I used to have issues with the touch screen, but I started using the tip of my finger nail not my soft finger pad and after a few hours found it works really well.
    Also remember screen calibration, if may help some users if they are the main user, if they calibrate the screen it will learn where they touch !
    No-one here uses a stylus, so we have not got into the mode of recommending one.

Maybe some other iLive users have got some to recommend.

cheers
    rob
    A&H

Profile photo of Tuejo
    Tuejo
    Participant

If I find I have a clumsy day I use my finger to select the dropdown or field and the dial to navigate.

Tue

Profile photo of Studio42
    Studio42
    Participant

I guess if you can’t find an old Palm Pilot one, there are plenty of other alternatives. Checking office supply places might be a good starting point as they do sell some styli that look like retractable pens. Some are affordable enough that a few can be kept handy in your kit.

You can get Nintendo DS ones rather readily. Tie some decent strength string to it, and then find some sort of adhesive cable restraint to tie the other end of the string to and then place that restraint to an out of the way position. Good way to keep the stylus from getting lost, but I don’t think I’m going to try this idea. I just don’t want to stick something to my iLive T112 once I get it.

I guess once I take delivery of an iLive T112 and start playing with it a lot, I’ll know if my fingers are too fat or if I’m too finger sloppy to use the touch screen.

Chris Pickett, Studio42 916-601-7089
    https://www.studio42.com
    Allen & Heath ML5000 48B and future iLive T112/IRD48 owner.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Good ideas guys.

Thanks.

Tim Gibson
    Tech Director
    EV Free Church
    Crystal Lake, IL

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

Ah the Pokey stick, I have this issue fingers like sausages drives me mad.
    Staple office supplies, cheap retractable pencils.
    Couple of quid for 10 bonus is you can uise them as pencils also.[:D]

Profile photo of bucks
    bucks
    Participant

Hello All

If people are finding the integrated touch screen to small, we do support a larger 15″ or 17″ external touch screen which gets driven using the external VGA connector and USB for the touch.

These are available from GVision – https://www.gvision-usa.com/ the
    P15BX is the model I have in the UK.

I suppose a pointy stick is cheaper, but I thought I’d let you know about the high tech alternative :-)

Andy
    A&H

Studio42
    Participant

It’s nice to see not only A&H standing behind the product, but responding to known working solutions for what could be common issues such as this, so we don’t have to go find out for ourselves.

I think if I can handle my iPhone, I’m probably doing pretty good as far as being “toch screen” compatible. I just wonder how I’ll be when the crap starts flying thick and heavy when I do a festival show and for some reason a band starts tanking on me and it’s time to get off the “donut chair” so I can “pull a miracle out of the posterior” to compensate for a bad band.

Time is ticking down until I can afford an iLive T112 with an IRD48. I just hope i still have money left over for road cases! A&H was great in letting me play with an ML5000 a while back which resulted in the sale of a ML5000 48B. Been pleased with the attitude of the company(as opposed to some of the others who won’t give me the time of day), and so A&H and I seem to be a natural choice for each other.

Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

a sharpie with the lid on works fine and should be in everyones pocket anyway :)

Studio42
    Participant

Sure, a Sharpie with the cap on should work, but in my past experiences, I find I need a smaller tip that is a not quite so smooth. But that’s just me.

I’m still getting uesd to my iPhone and my Nintendo DS!

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

So I have a iLive just remind me what the Sharpie is for?[:D]

Studio42
    Participant

Autographs?

Profile photo of svelting
    svelting
    Participant

We have long wanted a larger monitor with touch screen but are uncertain if our iLive 144 is ready to use one or do you need to modify it in some way. I know we have the 1.0 ghz display in the unit because of all the issues with 1.50/1.51 firmware. Would we be able to use the GVision P15BX Andy mentioned without modifying the console?

Studio42
    Participant

I’d guess that since the iLive series has, or at least in pictures, appears to have a 15-pin VGA video output port, plus the USB ports, that you should be good to go with the larger external screen solution A&H recommended.

Looking at page 10 of the iLive(not iLive T-series) reference manual, I see that there is in fact a VGA port, which as they say “Option to connect a monitor screen to the VGA output to duplicate the TouchScreen Display”. Plus, with the very specific recommendation by A&H, I’d say you don’t need to do anything outside of get the right display and fnd something to stand it on. I suppose with the doghouse area being rather sparse, assuming you have a road case, I guess you could somehow find a way to permanently mount a swing-arm intended for mounted an LCD flat panel display onto if you must go for compact.

For me, I don’t want to lug around an extra screen since I’ll be mobile 95% of time since I’m a live sound production company. It’s nice to know there is an option.

Profile photo of svelting
    svelting
    Participant

Our console is pretty much permanent so we have had a 17″ LCD monitor hooked up for some time now. It is nice but it would be much nicer if the larger monitor were also touch screen. I would agree it would be a bit much if you are mobile that much. For some reason I seem to remember being told we would need an additional board to be able to use a larger, external, touch screen monitor – perhaps I misunderstood. We currently have our LCD plugged into the VGA port – but if all we need to do to make a touch screen work is to buy the proper monitor and plug it into the VGA and USB ports it would be great!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.