Synchronizing iLive to external clock signal

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Synchronizing iLive to external clock signal

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mr-B Mr-B 14 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tv7
    tv7
    Participant

Hi!

I am planning to upgrade our field production unit with iLive system and Fostex 2424LV harddisk recorder to achieve 24 track recording of audio in TV-program production.

The control surface would be iLive 122 fitted with:

RAB2
    * M-ACE-A
    * M-MMO – Mini Multi-Out (using 3x ADAT)
    1x M-MICIN
    1x M-LINEOUT
    1x M-DIGIN (using one AES/EBU for stereo signal)
    1x M-DIGOUT (using one AES/EBU for stereo signal)

MixRack would be iDR48 fitted with M-ACE-A. Fostex D2424LV (MK2) harddisk recorder would be connected with the iLive surface trough 3x ADAT litepipes of Mini Multi-Out card. There is also a DVCAM recorder of which AES/EBU in’s and out’s would connect to M-DIG-IN and M-DIGOUT respectively.

I could use an external synchronization signal generator to sync the DV2424LV using Word Clock. But is there any way to synchronize iLive system to external sync signal (eg. black burst / word clock)?

Kristian Epäilys

Profile photo of tv7
    tv7
    Participant

OK. First thing noticed by myself. iDR48 doesn’t need the M-ACE-A card, because it already has one ACE -port and there is no intention to make the system redundant.

Kristian Epäilys

Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

unless you want to get another IDR48 and do a monitor split.

Profile photo of tv7
    tv7
    Participant

Have I understood correctly:

1. It’s possible to fit RAB2 -module in iLive 122 control surface.
    2. RAB2 -module has built in headphone amplifier, two card slots and DARS in/out connectors.
    3. These two card slots may be filled with M-ACE-A for ACE link to operate T-series iDR48 MixRack, and M-MMO to attain 3x ADAT connectivity.

What does DARS stand for? I believe it’s something related to external synchronization. What type of sync signal it reads?

Kristian Epäilys

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Kristian,

1. Yes it is possible to fit RAB2 to any iLive surface, just not ilive T-Series surfaces.

2. Yes the RAB2 module has built in headphone amplifier, two card slots and optional DARS + Wordclock in/out connectors (BNC Connections)
    NOTE: D.A.R.S + WordClock on the surface RAB2 will only work if you have a valid active audio link between Mixrack and surface.

D.A.R.S = Digital Audio Reference Signal – or AES11-2003 signal is AES3-formatted audio signal capable of being referenced, locked and distributed at the same audio frame rate of the iLive system 48KHz.

Hope this help
    Sam A&H

Profile photo of tv7
    tv7
    Participant

Thank you Sam. This cleared the sky of uncertainty.

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

I think the Big Ben (by Appogee I think it is) has DARS reference out along with just about anything else you can think of. I believe they can also be locked to GPS satellite clock also which means you could have 2 Big Bens in two locations without a cable link as long as you can receive the GPS signal.

I used DARS to link two iDR10 racks earlier in the year on the advice of the factory, no issues what so ever.
    Mr.B.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.