network status

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions network status

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Studio42 Studio42 14 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Participant

HI,

does anybody now what the colored network status leds mean in the status screen on the surface ? I Had a show where the green led was on but from time to time also the orange and even red led. The system was sync locked and i had no disconnections. I can’t find nothing about it in the reference manual. UTP cable is 60m

Lieven

T112/IDR48
    Disclaimer: I disclaim everything. The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, inappropriate, misguided, or otherwise perverse – except for my name (hopefully I got that right).

Profile photo of bucks
    bucks
    Participant

Hi Lieven

The person at A&H who deals with this is on Holiday at present, but I’ll try and answer your question.

I assume your using ACE? The traffic lights are an indicator of QOS – Quality of Service over the Ace link. Green mean “No errors”, Orange means a small number of errors have been recorded and red means lots of errors.

The length of the cable seams OK, but maybe its been damaged is some way ? I would try using a different cable and see if the problem persists, i’ll ask the person who designed ACE to email you on his return.

Cheers

Andy
    A&H

Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Participant

Andy,

thanks, I’l wait . Maybe it had something to do with a related problem with the firmware. I installed 1.51 and had a red tick on the firmware. I had no time to check and i did the show with it. that’s when i had the orange and red leds. the problem with the firmware was related to a wrong network setting of the gateway. it was out of the network range. As a result in the error log i had a error every seccond because the surface could not connect some stuff. Error in sendto, Error = No route to host#13;
    (UnitFinder.cpp:239) Maybe the continious try to connect between the surface and rack was overloading the ace traffic,hence the orange and red led

regards

Lieven

T112/IDR48
    Disclaimer: I disclaim everything. The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, inappropriate, misguided, or otherwise perverse – except for my name (hopefully I got that right).

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Lieven

With regards to ACE

The traffic lights in the Surface Link info window on the Status page show QOS – Quality of service of the connection between MixRack and Surface.

Green means no packet errors have been recorded in the last 3 Minutes
    Orange means 1 -> 2 errors have been recorded in the last 3 minutes
    Red means 3 or more errors have been recorded in the last 3 minutes

This is a rolling window of 3 minutes, meaning that errors drop-out of the calculation after 3 minutes have past.

Examples
    A 3 error cluster will turn the traffic lights to Red; this will then return to green after 3 minutes if no further errors are found.

If you have 1 error every 50 seconds continuously this will result in the light going red and will stay in the red.

2 quick errors then 1 error within 3 minutes will result in the traffic light going red briefly, then to orange (as the first two errors drop out of the window 3 minute window), then back to green 3 minutes after the last error.

With regards to cabling

If you are getting regular errors it is a good idea to check your cable quality and make sure that the Ethercon connections on the iLive system are clean and in good condition.

Your cable length seems fine but I am unsure of the quality of the cable you are using. Below is a link to the recommended/Tested cable we supply at A&H.

https://www.ilive-digital.com/Downloads/Understanding_ACE_rev_11AUG09.pdf

Hope this helps

Best Regards
    Sam A&H

Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Participant

Sam,

does the utp has to be CAT5e or is CAT5 also supported?
    witch RJ45 connection do i use ? T-568A or T-568B

Lieven

T112/IDR48

Profile photo of Studio42
    Studio42
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Lieven Dewispelaere

Sam,

does the utp has to be CAT5e or is CAT5 also supported?
    witch RJ45 connection do i use ? T-568A or T-568B

Lieven

I”m gonna stick my neck out on the line a bit on this one, considering my first posting and I don’t own an T112 or an IRD48(yet).

Me personally, I will be making my own cabling using Cat6, but Cat5 and 5e should be fine for shorter runs(sub 100-feet or so, but the spec says you can go much longer). I have the tools and am familiar with the Ethercon connectors so I’ll be making my own.

I personally like the T-568B wiring schematic, in part because I have it memorized and every client of mine(mainly data comm) uses that as their wiring standard.. Just, whatever you do, just pick one and stick with it. It doesn’t matter of you go T568A or B, as long as you are consistent. As a minimum, be consistent PER CABLE, as in the end it is a 1 to 1 wiring scheme.

I’ve been making all my Cat5 cables using T568B for years. I use it on everything from my routers, switches, hubs and computers, to even my Aviom system and for vidoe baluns. I also use it for T1 access, as well as older 56K lease line circuits and ISDN. Never once gave me any grief or hassle UNLESS I did something wrong.

In regards to 3 minute windows for QOS, sorry, but I feel that is way too long of a window for live sound. I can easily accept that for data comm, as TCP will allow for the resending of packets. And yes, the iLive surface is mainly that, a surface, but you are running audio down that too. Isn’t that what part of ACE is?

For something where real time is critical, I’d want windows of like 15 seconds, or as a mininum, 1 minute.

One of my concerns is that I intend to get an RTA for the mains, and I want network access to it. So, I’ll discuss that topology with A&H later as I want to reduce my wiring to the barest minimums between FOH and stage. Right now I use an A&H ML5000 48B, and that big 56-channel multicore and then a DMX cable and 2 Cat5’s, well, the big multicore is the issue. I don’t mind running a small bundle of small cables as much. I have a few regular places where I can simply lay down a ruggedized Cat5/6 cable and leave it and it will stay there for my next event.

Chris Pickett, Studio42 916-601-7089
    https://www.studio42.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.