Something should be corrected..

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Something should be corrected..

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dmills dmills 14 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of coconut
    coconut
    Participant

I-Live is the great sounding console, but is it possible to let audio output working as normal ( no interupted or mute ) when we adjust any kind of Delay time.. ( both output and pre-delay in EFX ) .. It’s very annoying.

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

From what I remember of this subject it is nearly impossible, the amount of resources required to almost, make this happen would most likely mean the rest of the desk would stop.
    I am not aware of any console or external delay unit that allows this to happen, I suppose in theory a tape delay would let you however you would get sluring.

Hope this is correct, I am sure someone will let me know if it is untrue.
    Mr.B

Profile photo of sound
    sound
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Mr B

I am not aware of any console or external delay unit that allows this to happen, …

BSS, Klark, T.C., Lexicon…

Profile photo of mdsaudio
    mdsaudio
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by sound

quote:

Originally posted by Mr B

I am not aware of any console or external delay unit that allows this to happen, …

BSS, Klark, T.C., Lexicon…

So, if a signal is delayed by, say, 200ms, what fills that 200ms of silence while we wait for the signal to reappear?
    I suppose it could be time stretched digitally, but then we must accept the huge amount of distortion this produces!
    Enquiring minds would like to know.
    Darren

[/quote]

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

Ah then I must have a faulty TCS 804 and a faulty D-Two in the warehouse?

Profile photo of sound
    sound
    Participant

Would love to hear a comment from A&H…

The current state of muting the audio when the delay is changed is not acceptable.

Profile photo of mdsaudio
    mdsaudio
    Participant

By definition, delaying a signal means the signal will be absent until it reappears after the delay!
    I’m not sure what else you are expecting.
    Darren

Profile photo of sound
    sound
    Participant

Darren,

quote:

By definition, delaying a signal means the signal will be absent until it reappears after the delay!

This is a joke, right? You just forgot to put a smiley at the end…
    Greetings,
    Walter

Profile photo of robc
    robc
    Participant

The delay change is muted to prevent the signal click you get when you jump in time. We did this for scene changes, where you want silent delay changes say on a scene change – maybe you all dont want that, the mute is discontinuous for programme.

Some people have requested the ability to not have the mute so they can hear the phase change when doing delay alignment, for output delays. Is this the application you all want ?
    User option ?
    Does other equipment produce small clicks on delay change, is this acceptable?

Profile photo of simonstpauli
    simonstpauli
    Participant

On the outputs I would like to have the choice if audio is muted or not when I change delay

Christian Tepfer
    Hamburg, Germany

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

can’t think of a delay that does not click,or make some noise. mute works for me, but then what do I know.[8D]

Profile photo of dmills
    dmills
    Participant

There are basically two ways to do a delay that does not click when you change the value:

1: Resample the audio so the buffer size changes. This causes a pitch change which is exactly equivalent to what would happen if the distance changed at the same speed (doppler shift).

2: Resample and speed change: This is DSP heavy, but allows the delay to be changed without causing a pitch change while it happens.

Both of these have the delay changing over some time period, and in the case of lengthening the delay the period needs to be long compared to the change in delay time (Otherwise the resample ratio becomes really silly).

The other thing that having this capability would open up, is the potential to be able to do delay panning which would be cool.

Regards, Dan.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.