“Ghosts”

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jorr1013 jorr1013 15 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jorr1013
    jorr1013
    Participant

Okay here is my disclaimer – although I’ve been running sound for over 30 years, I have just started with a digital mixer, the iLive 144 and have only had it for a couple of weeks. So I guess I’m a “newbie” to this system.

I archived an existing show as a new show name to use as a base for a production. I went through and started adding and deleting to build what I needed. I wound up with a couple of channels that seemed to have “ghosts” in them. Both of them happened to be connected to an input card on the Surface. I could see the input on a strip but neither the fader nor the mute had any affect on the level. I could turn them down through the preamp section. I could even delete the strip and they still came through. No other strip showed any level and even with all of them muted, these two channels still came through. It’s like the physical inputs were going to multiple places, one that I could see and one (or more) that I couldn’t see.

I’m pretty sure that I did something wrong and even went back through the whole process and came up with the same result. Is there any way to see from the physical input where it goes? Does anyone have any idea what I could have screwed up or any other sage advice?

Thanks for your help!

Profile photo of CareyD
    CareyD
    Participant

You may have those preamps patched to other channels not currently mapped to your strips, or used as external input to your mix. Card preamps can be patched to any number of channels, for example to split one source into two or more channels. One way to check is to mute all visible channels, send signal to that input card only, and then open the METERS screen and tab through all the pages to see if any channels or mixes have signal activity. If so, you can find (or map) their strips, open the PREAMP screen and change the input source patching. Hope that helps. Let me know if you need more on this. Regards, Carey

Profile photo of jorr1013
    jorr1013
    Participant

That makes sense. I didn’t think of looking for it that way, but I will take a look at it. I knew there had to be a way of looking at it from the input side, but I didn’t know how. Still too new at this board I guess.

Thanks for your help.
    -John

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.