default shows and scenes per user

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions default shows and scenes per user

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of CareyD CareyD 15 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of brycelarson
    brycelarson
    Participant

I’ve got my iLive 144 set up in a dressing room with a couple of powered speakers anxiously waiting for the completion of the renovation on my Main Stage. I’m starting to build my base show and users on the desk and I have a question.

We’re a multi-use space with many different operators. Is there a way to configure my desk to always begin at the user login screen – and to assign a show and scene as the default for each user? This would allow me to give appropriate levels of access to anyone that walked up to the board – while keeping operation simple for those who aren’t really up to full access?

-Bryce Larson
    Production Manager
    The Arts Center on 7
    bryce@minnetonkatheatre.com

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

i did a “try” for my rental as we rent it out sometimes as “24 channel” console, without taking out the input cards….

First you have to create the first password protected login (in my case the name is ADMIN) you`ll have to protect it with a password.
    once this is done, you log in as admin and start creating “sub” accounts
    the way you want, for example you can block output Routings and severeal other things i dont remeber now exactly coz i am not sitting at the console (home).
    but basically i believe this is what you want

cheers
    dave

allen&heath i-live digital /focusrite octopre/ rme digi/multiface/
    samplitude pro v 10.01 / sample-tank / synthogy ivory / DFHS drummer
    algoritmix renovator/de scratch pro/de noise pro/peq orange red and blue /K-stereo

brycelarson
    Participant

I’ve done that – I’m asking if there is a way to set the console to start up in the “change users” page. This would make it easy for any user to pick an appropriate user.

Once that’s accomplished I would also like to set a default show and scene per user.

For my space – I’m the admin – I’ve also got a profile for myself – with my personal preferences on the console settings. I’ve then got some student interns – so I built a user account for them – “interns” and I built a user account for the choir and orchestra concerts – “concerts”.

I want to give myself full access – which is cool, my account is fine. I want to give the interns moderate access – since I’ve trained them. I want the “concert” user to always load the show I built called “concert”. That show only has the first four wireless mics, the CD players and the LCRS in the center section – and basically no access to anything else – including loading shows.

The problem with this is that whatever show the desk had loaded when it was shut down is what it loads when it starts up.

Is there a way to set it up so that whenever you load a user profile it loads a particular show?

-Bryce Larson
    Production Manager
    The Arts Center on 7

Profile photo of CareyD
    CareyD
    Participant

Yes, you can mostly do what you want here. Activate two guest users – ‘Interns’ and ‘Concert’. Apply a password to each, and make sure you have an Admin password too (Make sure you keep a record of these passwords in case they get forgotten). When you boot up the system it will display the User Login screen with the three users listed in the left hand window. Select the user you want and type in the required password.

Regarding the different show loading. You can’t change the Show per user but, more appropriately, you can get the system to automatically load a different Scene per user when they log in. As Administrator you can apply a ‘Statup Scene’ per user if you want. This loads when the user logs in. A Scene should be able to change everything you want for your users. It can reconfigure the strip layouts, change all parameters, names, colours, socket mapping, anything you want, and it will do it much quicker than loading a whole Show. By setting the User Permissions you can lock your two users out of recalling further Scenes or Shows.

Have a play with this powerful feature. Let me know if you need further help with this.
    All the best,
    Carey

brycelarson
    Participant

I must have remembered wrong – I thought that when I was logged in as the admin – powered down then powered back up it was in the admin account still – I’ll play tomorrow when I’m back at the theatre then let you know how it goes.

thanks for the great support!

-Bryce Larson
    Production Manager
    The Arts Center on 7

Profile photo of CareyD
    CareyD
    Participant

Yes, if the current user, for example Admin, does not have a password set then the system will boot up as last used. In your required multi user situation the trick is to set a password for each user including yourself as Admin. That forces the system to boot up to the Login screen for password entry. This screen lets you change user too.
    Hope that helps,
    Carey

brycelarson
    Participant

ok, so with all passwords set it will boot to the login screen – which is cool.

Now, the second part – getting a show / scene to load on a per-user basis.

For the sake of this conversation let’s pretend that I have two accounts on the desk – Admin and intern.

I have two shows – let’s call them concert and theatre.

Admin has full rights (obviously) and intern has all rights deactivated (including show loading). If I – as the admin load “theatre” and am working on the desk – then power down and start up again it goes to the login screen – which is fine.

At that point I log in as intern – but since I was last working on “theatre” that’s the show that comes up when I log in.

I have specified the scene for Admin and for intern – but since the scene specified for the intern user login is located in “concert” it doesn’t recall when I load that user. Additionally, since “intern” doesn’t have show access rights they can’t load the correct show to recall the correct scene.

I’m looking for untilate simplicity for a user to walk up and use the desk – so if I can avoid having to explain how to load shows, recall scenes etc – that would be great.

Can A&H add a feature – so that the desk loads the show that the default scene references as well? Or is this in the desk somewhere and I’m just missing it?

-Bryce Larson
    Production Manager
    The Arts Center on 7

Profile photo of CareyD
    CareyD
    Participant

Hi Bryce.
    The first thing is to think about using Scene recall rather than Show recall. In your case think of the ‘Show’ as being the configuration of your full installation encompassing all your user setups and venue requirements. Think of the ‘Scenes’ as being the individual setups for each user. A scene can recall most of what is recalled by a show. It does not of course include the the bus configuration but you should be able to set that up to cover your maximum user requirement without the need to change per user.

iLive does not load a new show per user. Instead the administrator can choose for a particular scene to load automatically on user login if required.

So in your case you would work with one show called ‘Arts Centre’ which lets you archive your entire setup. For your example you would store two scenes, one called ‘Theatre’, the other ‘Concert’. Go to UTILITY / Edit User Profiles and set up two users – ‘Admin’ and ‘Intern’. For each choose the relevant startup scene. Note that if you don’t set one then the system boots in the same condition you left it in at last power down.

The clever bit is what you put in your Scenes…

As Admin user you have access to everything. In fact you may not need a startup scene as you can go to the Scene Manager and recall any scene you want anyway. It may even be useful to log in to see the previous user’s settings which would otherwise have been overwritten if you had your own startup scene set, or they logged in again.

The ‘Intern’ user would log in with the ‘Concert’ scene automatically recalled. Because of the restricted permissions you have given them they would not be able to recall another scene or show or change the configuration. If you decided to give them access to just a selection of input channels, a few auxes for monitors, a couple effects and a single DCA to control the house level then you would configure just those items to the fader strips. The other channels, mixes, output patching and so on would be out of view and not accessible to that user. You would probably mute or reset all the ‘invisible’ channels and mixes so they are not audible while the logged in user is working.

For other users you could set up their permissions and store a scene with the layout appropriate for them.

This keeps things very simple for users such as your ‘Intern’. They don’t have to think about show or scene recall, and everything is laid out nicely for them across the strips, and parameters reset to their comfortable starting point.

At this stage of iLive firmware development it is not possible to allocate groups of scenes to individual users, but that will of course come in time. Hopefully the solution I have described above will be a good starting point for your application.
    Let me know if you want more on this.
    All the best,
    Carey

brycelarson
    Participant

Yes, I understand this setup option – here’s where it becomes sticky. I at some point have shows running in rep – and plan to use the scene recall for mic levels, orch levels etc. In some shows this may mean that I have a couple hundred scenes used in a show – and obviously this means that we’ll be using too many scenes.

In this case I assumed that saving each show as a “show” would make sense.

That’s where my problem comes up. Yes, I can certainly tell each show op to start using scenes in a certain number range – say 25-125 for show 1 and 150-250 for show 2. However, this will be harder to manage.

I understand that this may be beyond the current software – but I would love to be able to set a default show and scene for each user login.

It’s one more thing to remember – but I think that for my use I will create a show called “Arts Center” (sorry, I’m in the US I have to do a “er” instead of the “re” at the end). In that show the concert and intern setups will be fine as scenes – I’ll just have to implement a system where anyone using the board for advanced applications needs to re-load “Arts Center” in place of whatever show they were working on before they power down.

thanks,

-Bryce

-Bryce Larson
    Production Manager
    The Arts Center on 7

Profile photo of CareyD
    CareyD
    Participant

Ok, certainly ideas for future iLive firmware…
    Thanks for your thoughts on this.
    Regards,
    Carey ~ just off to get my dictionary and look up the word ‘center’ [:)]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.