suggestions

This topic contains 537 replies, has 136 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KB7981 KB7981 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 538 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of PaulBag101
    PaulBag101
    Participant

Hey Guys
    I spose I’m more pointingout a fact then suggesting anything but onething I’ve noticed with more recent firmware updates is that the 48v (Phantom Power) button on the control interface doesn’t wanna work I have to go in through the Pre-amp to turn it on or off.
    this is a minor inconvienience I know but would like to know can we look forward to it working again in the future or is it still working but here’s a setup trick that I’m missing here.

PaulBag

Profile photo of mdsaudio
    mdsaudio
    Participant

Hi Paul,
    You need to hold the 48v button on the surface for a second for it to work. This is intentional, to stop embarrassing accidents. The soft button on the screen will work instantly.
    Cheers,
    Darren

Profile photo of assafg
    assafg
    Participant

Clear-Com option would save as the 70mtr XLR cable to the desk.

PaulBag101
    Participant

Hey thanks Darren.
    couldn’t think for the life of me why they’d take that funtion out but acctually having it on a delay make abit of sense to stop those little accidents.

Cheers
    Thanks again.

PaulBag
    Void if Removed

Profile photo of robc
    robc
    Participant

the phantom power switch on the preamp section has to be held down for a few moments to be active – to stop people accidently pressing it during a gig !!
    so hold it down for a few moments.

Profile photo of PeterM
    PeterM
    Participant

Thing that I would like:

– Gated reverb (I think its coming :o)

– Multi-band compressor – I often use a BSS 901- dynamic EQ to reduce that 3-4K vocal harshness that can occur, something that could do that would be great. (I think the d-esser will do something similar if tunned to the correct frequency.)

– Stereo main output on a single fader option – This would be of most value on an 80 surface. Most shows that I do always have the same left and right output levels. Having a single fader (option) would save space on the surface for something else. It could have L+R with pan, even sub drive on the alternative knob function.

– Scene insert as described by Bryce.

– The ability to change the gain and EQ settings for selected channel over multiple scenes without having to access every scene. – This is useful for theatrical work when a mic is changed or positioned differently between performances and its gain needs to be changed on every scene.

Other suggestions

– The board to be supplied with some better standard configurations for FOH and Monitors that has the sends on rotaries. I think you need 3 standard configurations. One for FOH only operation, one for FB only operation and one for FOH + monitors from FOH.

– I would like to be able to control one rack from two surfaces just as I can at the moment with one surface and a lap top. That way it would give me a cheap and simple FOH + Monitor application. It’s not ideal but I still think it’s a useful application. (can you already do this?)

– I don’t like the make up gain on the default compressors. Make up gain should be added by the user. During a show I have had people “insert” compressors on individual channels, groups, and main outs, adding 15 or more dB of gain to the system and then struggle with the resulting gain changes to foldback and FOH.

Perhaps the defaults should include settings with and without make up gain. I understand that you can store your own (which I have done) but to gain acceptance by new operators you don’t want any hidden tricks. They are likely to select the factory settings instead of a user programme.

– A slightly larger font on the printing used around the led EQ displays etc.

Peter

Profile photo of CareyD
    CareyD
    Participant

Hi Peter, thanks for the suggestions, more useful ideas to stir into the big melting pot [:)]

There are a couple ways to have your master LR mix on a single fader. The one I use most of the time now is to feed L and R into a stereo matrix, and use the matrix on a single fader strip as the master. This also gives me a stereo graphic EQ and stereo RTA of the main mix. The L and R masters can be hidden away on a lower layer. If you set the L and R masters to ‘0’ and their sends to matrix to ‘0’ with pan hard left and right you get the correct gain structure with the matrix meter showing you the correct level.

The other method is to assign L and R to a DCA, more useful if you have other feeds such as sub and fills as part of the house mix with the DCA giving you a ‘house master’ of several mix outputs.

And… you can’t use two surfaces with a single rack yet. You can however use your laptop to control two iLive systems by connecting them all together on the same network, giving them unique IP addresses and running two Editor sessions.

Hope that helps,
    Carey

PaulBag101
    Participant

Hey Quick Question Guys.
    I’m an operator at my local Chruch and we are using an iLive80.
    we’ve loaded the lastest Firmware update v1.32 and am using my iLive Editor on my Laptop but the Firmware update on the Physical Surface keeps Dropping out whenever I try to logon to the from my Laptop.
    N.B. on main screen we get all 4 Green ticks however when we try to logon using iLive Editor the firmware Trick drops out and we get a Red Cross next to Firm.

HELP PLEASE.

PaulBag
    Void if Removed

Profile photo of CareyD
    CareyD
    Participant

Hi Paul, a few things to check if Editor does not connect correctly or causes the iLive show a red cross error:

1. Make sure the ‘Enable External Ethernet Connections’ option is turned on in the iLive UTILITY / Configuration / Preferences page. In your case I’m sure it is set correctly.

2. Make sure each device on the network has a unique IP address on a related network. Default iLive addresses are MixRack 192.168.1.1, Surface 192.168.1.2 and TouchScreen 192.168.1.3. Of course somebody could have changed these addresses. You can check them in the UTILITY / Network screen. Your PC running Editor must have an IP address that does not clash with these. For example set it to static address 192.168.1.10 on subnet 255.255.255.0 and it should be fine.

3. If you are using a wireless router then it too should be set to a unique address that does not clash with the other addresses, for example 192.168.1.11.

4. Note that you need a computer that is powerful enough to handle the Editor program. We have provided a minimum specification in the Release Notes. If your PC is below this specification you could experience some performance issues.

5. In some cases having two network adapters with related addresses on your computer (LAN and wireless) may cause problems. If this is the case try disabling the one you are not using.

I suspect though that you have a network IP address clash.
    Let me know if you need further help with this.
    Regards,
    Carey

PaulBag101
    Participant

Will Do.
    I won’t acctually get a chance to try till Wednesday (Today being Monday) but will def check my network settings on my laptop and let you know, when i try, what happens

Thanks for all your help

PaulBag
    Void if Removed

Profile photo of robc
    robc
    Participant

phantom power on top panel is 1 second hold down required to prevent accidentals. The button in the pre amp page is obviously quick touch.

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

a “Siderack View”-screen:
    – dynamic reduction-meters for ALL channels at one screen!

PaulBag101
    Participant

Hey Me Again with another Question bout iLive Editor.
    Do you connect to Surface through the Network Port or the PLAnet Port?

PaulBag
    Void if Removed

Profile photo of Jaap-TM
    Jaap-TM
    Participant

Hi Paul,

The PL-anet port is used for those little remote boxes with faders, knobs and displays, wich are allready on the market for years with the iDR4 and iDR8 matrix units from Allen & Heath. You can use these remotes for controlling in ear mixes by the musicians or extra VCA faders or just for master volume from the directors desk or office :-)

Connect your CAT5 cable from your network port from your laptop to the 3 way Networkport on your iLive. Your Editor software is just like another controller on the “control” network of the system.

Bit confusing as we understand, same cables in use for multiple functions and systems….. Cat cables…..

AUDIO > Ethersound 64 bidirectional audio on the RAB card, for connections between iDR10, iDR0 and console’s and 3rd party ethersound stuff.

NETWORK > control of the system, DSP’s, gains etc, consoles & editor software via the network i/o’s

PLanet > little remotes, programmable in the software, own connectors on console and rack.

AVIOM > ( optional ) 16 bus in ear support system

Non of these are compatibel with each other, so a color code of your cables or good labelling is advised !!!

but hey, dont we use a XLR for Line, MIC, Speaker or 12V Littlite ?

PaulBag101
    Participant

Hey Jaap.

Thanx for that I am aware the PL-anet is used primarily for those little mixers. was just wondering that since a laptop isn’t actually another surface (Just acting like one) that you may need to use the PL-anet like you do with the little mixers.

But yeah thanx for clearing that up for me.

Another Question:
    When our Church setup our iLive we used DCA to manage our Groups I.E: Drums, Guitars, Keys, VOX
    I think thiis was mainly cause using DCA we could mute entire groups and it was easier for us to understand how to setup DCA’s at the time. Could someone please detail for me the pro’s or cons against this action and whether using a Group for groups would be better as all we can do using DCA as Group masters is Mute the entire group.

PaulBag
    Void if Removed

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 538 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.