suggestions

This topic contains 537 replies, has 136 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KB7981 KB7981 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 538 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Gijsbert
    Gijsbert
    Participant

Hello,

I would like a remote application running on Android!

And ofcourse the scene+1 button or auto increment function for scene recall on the desk…….

Thanks

Gijsbert
    t112/idr32

Profile photo of AppliedStucco
    AppliedStucco
    Participant

a Feedback suppressor for when not having enough time to ring speakers out?

Profile photo of schaibaa
    schaibaa
    Participant

bleh no thanks, they are pretty unprofessional!

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

yup, let’s leave these suppressor things to Behringer :]

ddff

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

So do you know any professional engineer that can kill multiple unexpected feedback frequencies in less than 0.3 of a second? It takes longer than that to reach for the master foldback DCA!
    And no matter how good you think you are – sooner or later you will have unexpected feedback – like when someone trips on a mic stand and the mic lands on the monitor! I believe there is a place for feedback suppressors for this reason alone. Not to mention that these consoles are destined to a very wide range of end users including Church’s/Schools etc who don’t necessarily have experienced operators at hand! Having said that I can’t see them being included anyway as they are fairly processor hungry and the iLive CPU probably doesn’t have enough spare processing available? If on the other hand they could be included and worked well then why not? Just bypass them and you can still claim to be professional!

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Profile photo of schaibaa
    schaibaa
    Participant

I just don’t see it — I think most people would think that would make it more like an amateur toy.

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

I’m with Richard on this one – I’ve never used them, but have always had some sort of RTA in the rack, now I have them on every output! Anyway, for an engineer mixing multiple sends of monitors on a loud stage from FOH, I don’t see any issue with it being “unprofessional” to use something like that (especially in say a festival situation where your inputs change constantly & correct gain structure is difficult to nail in the 10 minutes you’ve got to get a new band up & running). I’ll admit, I probably wouldn’t use it, but if there’s enough processing headroom for it I’d say its a viable addition, particularly for the church/school market (lets face it, anything that gets more of these systems out there is eventually beneficial to all of us “pro” users in lower costs products & greater network support).

Gijsbert
    Participant

experimented a few times with them in a live situations. it’s terrible, instead of finding the feedback, your trying to find out what is missing in your sound. Some high notes are gone for some seconds, then some low notes.. You tend to pump up all frequencies because there is no feedback and then the feedback killer takes the frequencies out, but does that by predicting where problems might occur. (otherwise they would be useless) In the end you lose control over your spectrum. Imagine that in a church or a place with volenteers, they can do what ever the want, no feedback, but in the worst case, very bad sound. It might certainly help on monitors, but in the end, there must be a reason why the big audio companies don’t spend money or research on the ultimate feedback killer….

Biggsounds
    Participant

I’d imagine monitors being the only place you’d ever consider patching something like that (again, I’m talking about non-professionals getting the most use out of a feature like this)…still, for a church with a bunch of roving lavalier mikes…. as far as the audience is concerned bad sound is probably preferable to screaming feedback!

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Agree with Gijsbert – worst nightmare is to have some automatic processes into your signal chain and get heart attack when unit figures something out for you. Have seen some of these in action, funny for audience and terrible for FOH guy. Let me describe this- you get feedback at 3k5, it gets louder and after 0.5 … 1 sec. when everyone have heard it, unit comes in and puts some -5 dB notch, this freq goes down, talent asks for more input (as some information has gone with the notch) and we get next freq. And then unit runs out of filters, then it takes oldest filter and release it to use for next freq. And then everything starts from beginning. Not going to tell about long notes on electric guitar… :) My oppinion is to ring out monitors, step back in level couple dB and save ones nerves.

ddff

Gijsbert
    Participant

It takes about one day to educate non-professionals not to get feedback and with ilive it’s quit simple to preprogram a show or scene without the worst frequencies. Remember, ilive is a professional system wich give the professional audio engineer the possibilities to even make it monkey proof, should you further extend that system to provide reasonable sound to non-professionals? I’m open to any improvement but i will never use a feedback killer or something like auto-eq….unless A&H designs the ultimate feedback killer! (they will, someday, together with the “you-will-never-sing-out-of-tune-button” or the “girlfriend-of-the-lead-guitarist-will-hear-the-solo-louder-than-everyone-else-switch”)

Just kidding…

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

Well I would not be in favor of it but, most uses I have seen of these anti feedback devices are not live in nature. They generaly get set before hand then locked in sort of like a glorified eq. They are generaly not allowed to auto tune during a show.

112T/IDR48/IDR16

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Whew – Thank you Kentlowt. I occasionally patch them accross monitors at sound check time – ring the monitors with overall level only and let the feedback eliminator notch a few bands of narrow q freq’s – then I either lock the unit or copy those narrow notch’s to the iLive parametrc EQ. You can achieve great results that you just cannot achieve with a 1/3 oct eq and they quickly give you the exact freq, Q and cut required. Now I know there are issues with them – they will notch any sine wave based audio source (intentional guitar feedback, some keyboard synth sounds, whistle/ flute type sounds and they also degrade sound quality slightly but if you use them with mic sources only at sound check/monitor ring out then I see them as a valuable information tool that is way more accurate than a 1/3 octave RTA. As an experienced engineer I can pick the freq of a tone within a few hz of a 1/3 oct band – but I know of no engineer that can get to the accuracy that they can offer – 1/60th of an octave! There is a place for them if you take the time to work out how to use them in a professional way.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Biggsounds
    Participant

[ “girlfriend-of-the-lead-guitarist-will-hear-the-solo-louder-than-everyone-else-switch”)
    That would be the girlfriend matrix or iem send – everyone should carry a set of spare in ears for that purpose….

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

My approach in monitor situation is to have SAT Live or Smaart running in RTA mode with 1/24 oct. setting in parralel to control wedge. So I can see what’s wrong there and do some PEQ or GEQ there.

ddff

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 538 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.