1SKB-R100 case for SQ-5

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions 1SKB-R100 case for SQ-5

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dean Dean 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of BGO
    BGO
    Participant

Hello,
    I just got an SQ-5 and looking for a light weight case for it. Does anyone have experience with the 1SKB-R100?
    There are some openings in the console for a ventilation. How’s the ventilation works with this case? As I can see on the pictures the console is sitting pretty deep in the case and I’m not sure if it’s not blocking the ventilation openings.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of joel77
    joel77
    Participant

I have mine setup in the SKB-R100 with the SKB-AV8 shelf, just like in the picture on your post. Works great and I’ve never had an issue with heat. I’ve been out all summer doing shows on hot pavement. She’s never given me a bit of problem.

Profile photo of BGO
    BGO
    Participant

Thank you Joel

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

Irrespective of anyones opinion approving the use of the subject SKB case as an operational protocol I think it is a bad idea for most professional applications for the following reasons.

1) The SQs are designed for a convective air flow from the bottom of the deck to the top of the rear output vents. Shutting down a substantial amount of the free flow of air from either of the in or out vents is a bad idea.
    2) Most of us have several ancillary devices (DX168s, DX32s, power conditioning sequencer, external USB HDs, A wifi router, &/or a pre-recorded music playback device) that will also need to be safely transported. An SQ5 and a DX168 along with a Glyph studio external HD will fit snugly in a Gator suitcase for safe, secure transporting. I have an 8 space SKB case for the power sequencer and a separate 20 amp power output, along with a Masterlink for support track play back. I made two 3/4 inch plywood templates to secure the SQ5 on the top of the SKB 8 space case and accommodate a rolling tray for the bottom of the case.

When planning for either the traveling needs of touring or a fixed install comprehensive, in use, detailing is essential. To this end, while it looks good on the show room floor in practice the 1SKB-R100 for an SQ5 is not a good idea.
    Hugh

Profile photo of Dean
    Dean
    Participant

I’ve got the same set up as your photo with the folding shelf. It has been a great for me. There is a fair bit of space under the mixer for air. It’s possible that it’s not enough in extra warm environments but I’ve not had overheating problems, even outdoors. I think it is the smallest hard case available. I’ve been using it for a few years now. I need every piece in my rig to be small/light enough to carry by myself.

Dean

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.