16 xlr to cat5e to dsnake or usb on QU16? for stage box.

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions 16 xlr to cat5e to dsnake or usb on QU16? for stage box.

This topic contains 33 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of eurekarem
    eurekarem
    Participant

I would like to find or make either a usb OR ethernet cat5e to 16 xlr and 4 trs snake, assuming I could use the cat5e in the dsnake port?? on the QU16?? or the usb port??

Can someone tell me if there is a product available that can do this without me
    having to sell my house to buy it??

Thanks!

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

It’s called an AB168.

eurekarem
    Participant

I did mention that I didn’t want to have to sell my house for it…. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Thanks none the less…
    Also, I wouldn’t need it to have pre-ampps as the board already has them,
    theoretically and realistically keeping the cost down/lower…

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Not to be ugly but your house is surely worth more than $1000. There really is no other path other than a copper snake. QU vs GLD is that it offers pres either local or via DSnake. Very helpful in many situations.

eurekarem
    Participant

Thanks,, but I just read that someone can use Layer 2 network switches and media converters with the dSNAKE port?? provided they support Fast Ethernet (100Base-TX) connections (ACE and dSNAKE are Ethernet 802.3 IEEE Layer 2 compliant) so, I’m trying to sort all of this info out…

Found that info here: https://support.allen-heath.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/703/201/can-i-run-dsnake-through-a-network-switch

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

But what are you plugging into the other end of that?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

You have to have done kind of qualified interface on the other end. A switch means nothing. It can’t pass phantom power it can’t pass analog audio. It really services no purpose.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Yes, an AB168 is the minimum you’ll need to connect the digital dSnake protocol with the analog world. As George said, if digital seems to be too expensive or you insist to use the preamps of the desk, a heavy analog snake will be the way to go.
    The phrase Media Converter refers to other ethernet carrying media like optical fibers instead of copper, it has nothing to do with “multimedia” or audio.

eurekarem
    Participant

Oh I see, I would like to have a snake with x16 xlrs, (with no preamps as the QU16 already has them on the xlr ins) with maybe 4 trs on the stage side, then preferably run
    to the console with either USB, (or if possible, dSNAKE) in…

It seems dSNAKE would not be able to happen unless someone were to make a DIY kit mirroring their protocol? so then, I wonder if to USB input is possible as I understand
    that the QU16’s USB port is bidirectional?

eurekarem
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification Andreas. ๐Ÿ™‚

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Again. An AB168 is your only choice other than a copper snake which may cost you 1/3-2/3 the price of the 168. That’s it.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Both dSnake and USB running digital protocols. To convert analog signals into the digital world you’ll need:
    – A Gain stage to adapt analog level to whatever the ADC expects.
    – Maybe switchable phantom power to enable use of active DI boxes or condenser mics.
    – An Analog to Digital Converter (“ADC”) per channel.
    – Some sort of MCU or FPGA to collect digital data from all these ADCs and convert it into the dSnake protocol.
    – Maybe some return channels to feed speakers (which again will need DACs and analog driver stages).
    – Maybe a rugged case for stage use.

This exactly is contained in a AB168. Building the same DIY will consume time and probably will cost more.

I really doubt you intend to remove the existing preamps and DACs from your desk and stuff them into a box just to spare some bucks.

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

I have several analog snakes to sell if you are interested. I bought the AB168 and no need for analog any more.

eurekarem
    Participant

I see Andreas, so I couldn’t just simply use something like this: Behringer FCA1616
    to run from stage to the QU16 USB port? ๐Ÿ™‚

eurekarem
    Participant

Thanks for the offer Lou, but I think I’m going to have to bite the bullet and get
    an ab168, (even though it pizzes me off to be bullied into a proprietary protocol!)

Thanks for the responses everyone and your help…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.