1 cable Cat5 – Dsnake – dmx

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions 1 cable Cat5 – Dsnake – dmx

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Bis-Repetita Bis-Repetita 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bis-Repetita
    Bis-Repetita
    Participant

Hi all,

i know Dsnake can go through dmx cable(xlr 110ohm), also dmx can go through cat5 via rj45 plug.

Now, is the Qu32 to DSnake protocol using all cat5 wires?
    I mean, if i have only 1 cable to run Dsnake and dmx from my office to the stage…possible?
    But maybe all cat5 pairs are already buzy with DSnake…

Thx.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

“i know Dsnake can go through dmx cable”

I’m pretty sure it can’t.

I think you need another cable

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

I guess in theory 100mb/s ethernet only uses 4 of the wires in an Ethernet cable (though impedance seems to be less than half dmx), and a 3 pin dmx cable has 3 wires, so you could probably craft some wonky dmx to ethernet adapter for the unused wires… but the impedance mismatch will cause problems, same reason as why mic cables shouldn’t be used for dmx. 4-pins of Ethernet to a 5-pin dmx adapter is an even worse idea, it would leave no spare wires for the dmx signal (and there isn’t any reason to use a dmx cable for ethernet to begin with; A&H definitely doesn’t have support for something crazy like that).

To be honest, you should not try making any crazy adapter. The right way to use a shared ethernet cable for carrying both would be getting a box or two like https://www.amazon.com/70405-Ethernet-Lighting-Controller-Interface/dp/B072XY2PGV/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=01VAPWQMMGWHV8VJ4GR5 that converts the dmx signal into a protocol that is properly wrapped by in Ethernet packets, then have network switches at either end of your ethernet cable.

Bis-Repetita
    Participant

Oh, seems I did a mistake by saying something.
    I think I had some confusion on wires/cables and protocols.
    I did check!

Thx guys for your responses …and sorry for that.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

but anyway… if you are using 100MBit only you can use the remaining wires for DMX
    it works, but it’s not foolproof

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

From what I’ve always found CAT cable is 110ohm. Someone can correct me if that’s wrong. That said I know dmx will work on CAT. I’ve heard of contractors using it on permanent installs. I haven’t.

To my knowledge and again I might be wrong , in CAT cable orange/white-orange and brown/white-brown are not used unless there is POE which runs on the orange pair. Only the middle 4 wires are used. So in theory you could do what the O/P has requested. My thought though is that CAT cable is cheap enough why not just run two to keep from fabricating and adapter.

Bis-Repetita
    Participant

huu!?

So, can I make myself this wiring by taking cables, wich are not use by DSnake protocol?
    Wich one?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant
    Bis-Repetita
    Participant

get it, thx GCumbee!

blue/white blue and brown/white brown are unused on ‘Ethernet LAN Standards’ chart
    Not in GigaBite, wich requires 4 pairs of course, it’s ok.

I will try this on a tiny box/pc cable first then why not the long one.

Want to heard about this or not guys? I can give ou some news soon…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.