1.8 released…

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions 1.8 released…

This topic contains 66 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Gospelklaus Gospelklaus 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

V1.8 Release Notes says this :

Qu-Pad and Qu-You password protection
    The Qu-Pad app now requires entry of the Admin password on login. The Qu-You personal mixing app can now be protected by setting the new ‘Qu-You’ user password at the mixer.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

You’ve not had to use the password, but it’s been admin level access – at least I think it has been.

Yes – look at the QuYou app, you might need to search for ‘iPhone only’ apps on your iPad, but it works…

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Now you have me thinking Bob. I will check this later today to see if I log in as Standard can i use Qu-Pad (I mainly log in as Admin when I’m on sound). But if this is the case (i.e. that you always had to log on as Admin to use Qu-Pad) why are they only saying with this 1.8 release that “The Qu-Pad app now requires entry of the Admin password on log” ?

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Because the QuPad app was previously only protected by the WiFi code…

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Yes that is correct, the Standard users need to initially use the wifi router password to log onto the iPad. But why now do they have to use the desk Admin password just to operate the iPad, doesn’t make sense? The Standard user should be able to log into Qu-pad with the Standard password, not the Admin one !!
    If this is the case then we’ll be staying with V1.7, as I’m not giving everyone access to the Admin passowrd just so they can use the iPad, yet that’s what I would inevitably be pressurised to do as they would all like to use the iPad, and rightly so…

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I don’t think the QuPad app has anything disabled with regard to desk operation. There is no user level control, it’s admin or use QuYou and be limited to Mix changes.

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

But what doesn’t make sense to me is why does an operator need Admin level control in order to just use the iPad, he doesn’t need to change settings, just use the same controls as he would on the desk?

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Because the QuPad doesn’t go through the same rights management filters?

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Yes but why the Admin password then and not the Standard.

So general question, do all or most of the people in your church (or organisation) have Admin rights and use iPad ?

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Because the rights on the QuPad are admin, not standard…

You could argue that it should be it’s own password, but not the standard one.

(All assuming I’m right about my guess above)

We don’t have a QU at church, but yes everyone has admin rights to the Roland.

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Yes i would think it should be a unuque password, but not needing to be the same as the desk admin. Whats the point then in having an admin password if every user has it

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

I just got confirmation from A & H in the US that “…1.7 and below there is no logon requirement at all for QU-Pad”.

I guess I’ll be staying at V1.7 as I don’t want every user of the desk knowing the Admin password, but yet they should all be able to use the iPad.
    Seems they made a step backwards….

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Would it be better to lock “sensitive” controls locally with an admin password but allowing everyone with an iPad full access without knowing the password? For me, enforcing the admin password on the QuPad closes a big security gap. Great step ahead for me… 😉
    (didn’t updated yet, so my comment based on what I’m reading…)

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

This is the point – with 1.7 they can already bypass the admin password.

With 1.8 they can’t, since they need the password to use the iPad.

If they are setting monitors then use QuYou, which has its own password.

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Its not just setting monitor levels that our current Standard users use the iPad for, they use it to remotely change channel EQ settings etc. from the front (rather than at desk at back) or go up to the balcony and adjust the balcony speaker levels (which are on Grps1-2) with the iPad.

Now if i update to V1.8 (which I don’t plan to) they will not be able to do this and they will put pressure on me (via the Pastor) to give them the password, which is the desk Admin password….which now means I don’t have any security for all the essential settings which i usually store in Scenes 1-10 (which only the two Admin users have access to).

Obviously the current A & H software developers consider that only the admin should be able to use the iPad, or else they consider all users should have the Admin password…why then have different security access levels.
    Maybe this will be corrected on V1.9, I will have to wait until then before I update !!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.