Reply To: Can't create post in other forums and don't know how to reach administrators

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD troubleshooting Can't create post in other forums and don't know how to reach administrators Reply To: Can't create post in other forums and don't know how to reach administrators

Profile photo of dcongdon
dcongdon
Participant

Hi Eric,

I have had similar issues logging in to the forum on a mobile device. I find that when I login while browsing a particular forum, I have to refresh my mobile browser before my login status is updated. Hope that is helpful.

Regarding the GLD app, I am in the same camp. I can rationalize the app’s design, but feel that the current build is not working in the field. I measure the utility of the app by how easily a guest engineer can access the basic features. Unfortunately, the GLD remote app struggles the most with the basic features (accessing channels, changing levels, etc.).

We have x32/m32s and GLDs in our inventory and I have occasionally worked with Mackie DL mixers, so I feel I can compare these products pretty accurately. Overall, I find that apps that have swiping/scrolling navigation the hardest to use. The GLD and the DL both use swiping navigation (GLD for faders, DL for faders & Processing), which occasionally results in hitting buttons accidentally. The GLD remote anticipates this issue by requiring the operator to select and hold a fader. But in the field, this creates confusion. How long do I hold the fader before I can adjust the level? What if I let go too quickly and tap again? Will I be in Mix mode? What does it mean when I tap a channel and nothing happens? Where should I tap?

When you have a problem to solve (e.g. feedback), the last thing you want to question is your ability to move a fader. If I lack confidence to do such a basic task, I ditch the tool and find a better solution. Thankfully, the GLD surface and GUI are stellar and the sound quality is very nice. These strengths make the GLD a popular console in the field. It would be nice if the app was as user-friendly.

In comparison, the X32 bypasses this swiping/scrolling issue by organizing faders in static blocks of 8–both on the surface and the app. This format is crippling on the surface (IMHO) but fantastic for mobile mixing.

I don’t know if it is possible, but as an end-user I think a blend of a flexible surface (GLD GUI) and a tabbed/blocked app is the best approach. 4 blocks of 12 faders would work well, I think.

Finally, I would re-organize the buttons on each channel. First, I would add a Mix button and do away with the double-tap. Then I would place the mix/pfl/on/pan controls in a processing page for all input channels. They are lower priority to the most basic, mobile mixing tasks. I would only keep the fader and mute button available on all channels. For output channels, I would keep the Mix button available. Lastly, I think a meter bridge, I/O page, FX, and Setup menu would make the app a must-have in the field.

As always, thank you, A&H, for improving the quality of your products and listening to your end-users.