Reply To: Foh or Mons first?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Foh or Mons first? Reply To: Foh or Mons first?

Profile photo of
Anonymous

And, to address the original question: I indeed normally start with a somewhat coarse FOH sound, leveling instrument by instrument, monitors still off at that point (but already pre-EQed regarding feedback and placement). When I have that particular instrument well on FOH a little will be send to the assigned monitor (and only that one), so the musician is happy.
When everything is settled that way, we start a “sound check” to see, who additionally needs which other instrument on the monitors, and they only get those. With this approach I rarely have real feedback issues…

Depending the the band, whom is the band, venue inside outside, time restriction,
This is exactly what I do

Sensible feedback frequencies from the monitors are dealt with the PEQ of the mix (or GEQ in analog days). I generally rip off the low end from the monitors completely, since these are normally not required for the musicians to play well (may depend on music, though) which removes mud from the stage as well.

Yes its all about removing the mud, (But not to much though)
However being as ancient as myself I still use GEQ. (old habits die hard)
Although I have noticed a slight change in what I myself have been doing regards this and started using PEG for groups and other fold back issues.
Different bands often require different Fold back EQues.

Bands and I am talking wedges here, (depending on whom and venue/ type of event and instruments) can often hear themselves go out of the FOH mix (depending where speaker placement is and how much back wash from FOH speakers) etc
Since owning the QU’s, I have found I Equalise way less than external Equalisers from the past era.