Reply To: Recording in MP3 format for uploading to Podcast

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Recording in MP3 format for uploading to Podcast Reply To: Recording in MP3 format for uploading to Podcast

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
[XAP]Bob
Participant

The issue with raising gain that much in the desk is that you run the risk of transients causing clipping.
For most place speech is not going to be a “loud” section of the PA usage, so the levels will naturally be significantly lower than other elements of the service.

The QU has enough headroom, and enough bit depth, to record with that headroom (providing a safe recording) and then boost the levels later. There is no significant S/N reason to try to push the levels internally in the QU, and the risk of hitting digital clipping in the event of a transient (when the preacher gets impassioned) is not worth the (virtually null) reward.

Since there has to be some post processing (even if it is just topping and tailing the recording) I’d look to do the volume boost (and maybe some final compression) at that stage.

I think I suggested earlier that “do it the same” was a good first step, I still think it can be (because that can be practically zero cognitive load) – but there is nothing stopping you doing QuDrive stereo recording at the same time – and long term I think that is the optimal solution.