Reply To: DSnake & ipad on same network?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions DSnake & ipad on same network? Reply To: DSnake & ipad on same network?

Profile photo of Yorkshire Pudding
Yorkshire Pudding
Participant

Ok – it’s been a while but I’ve eventually got round to testing this – and indeed it is possible to run both a data network (for iPAD control etc) and D-Snake down a single CAT5e or CAT6 cable between the stage and FOH position.

You need 2 managed layer 2 switches that support V-LANS. I used two TP-Link TL-SG108E switches, but the 5 port version TL-SG105E would be fine and a bit cheaper (both are very good value). You also need a Windows PC connected to the switches so you can run their configuration software.

I setup port 8 on both routers as vLAN #8 and used it for D-Snake.
I setup port 7 on both routers as vLAN #7 and used it for data.
(You can use any port for each of the two networks, and you can add more ports to the data network if required)
Next: Setup the routers to limit connections on ports 8 & 7 to 100MB full duplex. And set the port based QOS (Quality of service) to give ports 1 & 8 maximum priority, port 7 low priority.

Port 1 of both routers were connected a CAT5e cable
On the FOH router I connected port 7 to the data network connection on my QU16 and port 8 to the D-Snake connector.
On the stage router I connected port 7 to a WiFi router (that the iPad connects to) and port 8 to the AR2412

The result – a rock solid audio connection (tested for quite a while without any glitches) and a good iPAD connection to the desk.

You could also add any managed amps or speaker controllers in the stage rack to the data network, and add a PC/MAC to the data network at FOH to control them.

If anyone would like more details on how to set this up please shout & I’ll add screenshots etc. from the router setup.