Reply To: feature request: copying source to another channel digitally

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions feature request: copying source to another channel digitally Reply To: feature request: copying source to another channel digitally

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
[XAP]Bob
Participant

Focal Audio:
It depends how many other scenes you are using, the two are both valid approaches – My issue is more that you lose any “live” tweaks you make to the vocal channel between each use if you use scenes.

Personally I don’t think that a “Preamp copy” function would be that computationally expensive – although as I’ve pointed out before I don’t have insight into the architecture of the QU (depending on the architecture it might be much more expensive if it crosses an 8 channel boundary for instance) – and would therefore be a relatively “cheap” feature to add for those who would rather do things that way round.

Generally:
The QU is insanely powerful, and an excellent desk. People have different ways of working with them, and that’s what feature requests are for 😉
One thing I liked about the Mackie site is that they have a sort of “vote for features” list (where you have 5 votes or some such) and that means there is a pretty exhaustive list of things people have asked for – and an idea of how many people are looking for that feature. Makes it easy to not repeat requests, as well as giving people an idea if they are the only person banging on about a particular feature they think would be awesome…

The thing that *I* would have liked to have seen in the QU series when I made the purchase was a separation between the control surface and the i/o – I’d love an AR box, but can’t justify the cost when it basically means I’m buying (more than) half the desk all over again. A QU16r (r for remote) with just a Talkback, PAFL and maybe ST3 input locally would have been top of my list with an AR(something). As it is the iPad remote control now functions as my main control surface for my regular gigs, it’s only when I’m doing something that I consider risky/different that I’ll keep the console off the stage.
Going to an iLive was never an option in terms of cost, and actually the QU contains everything required, just drop the preamps and internal routing options to save cost on the desk, then don’t punch the holes in the case… It might be of course that the saving I imagine from that setup isn’t realistic.