Reply To: Using SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 Flash Drive 64 GB as Qu-Drive?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Using SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 Flash Drive 64 GB as Qu-Drive? Reply To: Using SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 Flash Drive 64 GB as Qu-Drive?

Profile photo of Pete
Pete
Participant

Well over the wekend I tried a Sandisk Cruzer Fit 32GB (the forerunner to the Ultrafit) and it worked fine. Admittedly I only recorded 2 channels but it writes 18 anyway in multitrack. I had extimated that 48kHz sampling for 18 tracks would write about 3.3MB/sec and it worked out at 2.5MB/sec. This was based on two test recordings one of 60 seconds and another of 120 seconds. I think the Cruzer Fit is only rated at about 4-5MB/s write speed anyway. So based on that, I would say that most current drives would perform OK. So there are several low profile drives I would be prepared to try:-

<TABLE>

<TR><TD>make</TD><TD>model</TD><TD>read</TD><TD>write</TD><TD>size GB</TD><TD>price £</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>Transcend</TD><TD>Jetflash</TD><TD>80</TD><TD>20</TD><TD>32</TD><TD>18.82</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>Integral</TD><TD>Fusion</TD><TD>140</TD><TD>20</TD><TD> 64</TD><TD>19.99</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>Patriot</TD><TD>Spark</TD><TD>110</TD><TD>64</TD><TD></TD><TD>20.98</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>Patriot</TD><TD>Tab</TD><TD>110</TD><TD>64</TD><TD></TD><TD>24.99</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>Transcend</TD><TD>Jetflash</TD><TD>90</TD><TD>20</TD><TD>64</TD><TD>24.99</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>Verbatim</TD><TD>Store n go</TD><TD>60</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>32</TD><TD>12</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>Sandisk</TD><TD>Extreme</TD><TD>245</TD><TD>190</TD><TD>

</TABLE>

The read and write speed are in MB/sec.

My motive is not the price, but the convenience of having a low profile USB device that will be used mainly for backups of scenes etc, sound checks. If I am going to make serious recordings, I would do that via USB streaming straight into a Cubase project.

HTH