Reply To: Using SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 Flash Drive 64 GB as Qu-Drive?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Using SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 Flash Drive 64 GB as Qu-Drive? Reply To: Using SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 Flash Drive 64 GB as Qu-Drive?

Profile photo of Dick Rees
Dick Rees
Participant

I’m not sure why you’d need a 64 gb stick. I use a couple of 16’s and transfer the .wav files to my laptop on breaks, reformat the stick and go again. If I need to I just ping-pong from one to the other for recording. Since the file system limits things to 4 hour increments I don’t see the advantage to putting all your eggs in one 64 gb basket.

Just because the desk recognizes a stick does not mean that it will format properly and write clean files…

The recommendation from A&H is to do one thing at a time, off-load and re-format to avoid the possibility of file fragmentation and errors. Since I use my Qu-16 for paying work, I can’t afford to shop around for cheaper stuff that might work. That said, I spent a lot less on a package deal of 3 Extreme 16 gb sticks than buying a 64 gb stick and having extra unusable (for my application) capacity.

The clients get their tracks/recording on a regular USB stick. Once the .wav files are recorded, any old stick will do for delivery. But for the critical task of writing the recorded files it makes ZERO sense to guess about what MIGHT work. One failure and I’ve lost a client.