Reply To: FX applied to FOH and Mixes

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions FX applied to FOH and Mixes Reply To: FX applied to FOH and Mixes

Profile photo of Andy
Andy
Participant

Hello,

As there was said before, in this case there’s no difference between analogue and digital desks. You have to understand the signal flow, to get the results you want.

Take a look at your signal flow step by step:

You adjust your microphone channel (gain, EQ, dynamics, pan, volume in the main mix), and send a certain amount of it’s signal post fader into FX1. You bring up the FX1 return fader, and you hear the effect in the main mix. By adjusting the channel fader, you also adjust the amonutof the effect send signal. When you bring the fader down, there’s no EFX send, and therefore no effect. So far, so good.

Then you set your mix for output 9/10. You adjust the volume of your microphone, and then the volume of the FX1 return. Now you bring down your microphone fader, and you still hear the effect. And here comes the point, I think, you missed. The FX send is dependent of the position of the microphone fader in the main mix. Changing the volume of this microphone in any other mix (except FX1 send of course) will have no effect to the FX1 send. That’s why you hear the same amount of FX return, regardless, where the fader in this certain mix is.

That is absolut normal “behaviour” of your mixer 😉 I can’t think of any way to get an FX send “post to aux send”, it’s always “post send to main or group”

If you insert the FX device in this microphone channel, the amount of dry/wet will be the same in all monitor sends, and therefore the volume of the EFX will follow the volume of the microphone, but you have to bear in mind, that then all sends (monitors, groups, mains) will have the same dry/wet ratio.

I hope, I understood your problem, and could show, why the mixer does, what it does

Andy