Reply To: GLD + Dante + MultiRack?

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions GLD + Dante + MultiRack? Reply To: GLD + Dante + MultiRack?

Profile photo of Ana
Ana
Participant

If you want to use a daw for this application, Ableton live would be the go. There was an article in SOS in Aus about this, the engineer for the Sydney Opera house uses Ableton live to host the plugins he wants to use for the orchestra, controls the plugins via lemur and its running from an SD7.

Noise can occur when there is a clocking problem on the Dante network, typically setting the GLD to source its clock from the Dante Card, rather than internally is the best option. I clock my entire Dante network with a Black Lion Micro Clock via the Rednet 3, and the Dante clock monitor shows absolutely 0 variation in the clock offsets for each device.

Make sure your sample rate is set at 48khz as well, and also if the cpu is overloading you will get these artifacts due to dropped samples and multirack clearly shows cpu overload at the top when this happens. increasing the i/o buffer significantly reduces the load on the CPU. On my pc i am able to run about 150 power hungry plugins before it overloads on a 32 i/o, but it is top of the range hardware. I imagine the mac mini would be capable of far less.

Multirack is solid as a rock if everything is up to date, it is extremely well programmed and will let you know when you are out of processing power to add more plugins. There are also more and more software programs propping up written for this application that are not limited to waves plugs, and a google search will reveal these.

I had the looping issue for a particular version of Rednet pci Drivers. Typically on a mac, two or more different programs can access the same inputs from a device, however with one driver version when a second program attempted to access the inputs from the pci card it would create a loop. However newer drivers fixed this issue. I record the same inputs as the waves multiracks use, so Logic and Multirack share the same inputs.

The other option is that the Rednet pci card is compatible with certain thunderbolt pcie enclosures. There is no sacrifice in latency as the thunderbolt port is in essence an extension of the pcie bus of the motherboard.

Multirack has delay groups to maintain even latency between certain channels, despite all having different plugins and different amounts of sample delay. It simply moves them all to the largest delay.

Perhaps look at other software that hosts non waves plugins, but still with the dante back bone. Dante is easily the best audio over IP architecture and is quickly been adopted by many manufacturers. I was at the same juncture when choosing between the waves card and Dante years ago, and Dante has proven all ready to be the more future proof option. Have a look at the Audinate website at how many manufacturers use dante, and they all work together no questions asked.

Hope that helps

Ben