Profile photo of TJCornish
TJCornish
Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Joe Hinkens

I could use some ‘Live Sound 101’ advice relative to using the tools (RTA, pink noise generator, etc) on the GLD 80 to EQ the different venues we play. The only prior experience I have in this area is the Smaart Wizards built in to the Presonus StudioLive software. Their method uses a simple setup that walks the user through the steps of setting up a reference mic, feeding some pink noise to the mains, and then displaying the response curve on a screen where a 4-band PEQ is used to flatten the curve. The first time I tried it, I was amazed at how much improvement I could achieve with just a few relatively minor tweaks.

That being said, I’d like to employ the same principles to my new GLD 80 but I’m lost as to what steps to take. Is there anyone out there who could list the basic necessary steps and recommended software to achieve this? I’ve checked out the Smaart web site and it looks like a heavy piece of software. I was hoping for a simpler approach if there is one.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would certainly be appreciated.

For the record, I’m running the GLD 80 to Fulcrum Accoustics FA28ac tops and have a pair of RCF 8004AS subs that should be delivered within the next few days. Prior to the RCF subs, we’ve been using QSC K subs. Everyone is on in-ears so no wedges.

Thanks,
Joe

GLD-80 w/M-DANTE, GLD-AR2412, MacBook Pro, Studio One 2

“EQ wizards” are widely regarged as useless, particularly below 100Hz, and especially if you are only measuring in one location in the room.

I would suggest playing pink noise from your GLD, then using an inexpensive measurement mic like the one Rational Acoustics sells with the GLD RTA. Use the graphic EQ to get things sort of flat, then move the mic and repeat. You’ll start to see how the room affects the sound in different locations and make a more educated compromise.