Profile photo of mumu
mumu
Participant

i am a “old fart” fart as well (used to own mike oldfields old neve 8108 for 20 years e.t.c.)

– what i love on digital consoles. or lets say the main huge difference they offer (besides the “less cabeling less gear to transport e.t.c.”)

1.”delay per channel” (wich really is a huge improvement specially in dificult rooms)

2.the ability to move the f.o.h. to where the crowd is, in case the promoter overestimated the venue regarding the act –
in english : they rented a 2500 people venue but only 500 came.
in the analogue days once setup, it was almost impossible to do that.

3.the ability the copy paste channels for quick setup –

but still my main concern before a show is the placement of the f.o.h. system wich is vital,

what i miss on many of the younger engineers:

their technically very good but they are not “musical” enough!
a sound engineer has to be at least a hobby musician to understand what the music wants.
and of course “multistyle” from classical to jazz to “swamp blues” to whatever kinda music is out there.

the other advantage of (as mentioned above) of toys is the ipad wich ,besides it is convenient, helps to build confidence on stage with musicians one meets the first time,
simply because we now can stand beside him during monitor check therefore he feels “taken care”…..(32 years of sound checks here)

cheers
dave

allways latest firm and software
iLive-144/t-80/idr-10 /idr-48/dante/pl-6/eyepad 1/belkin router/