Profile photo of PeterM
PeterM
Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Pitk

quote:

Originally posted by PeterM

I love my iLive, but I am still struggling with rider acceptance issues.

I think part of the reason is that every guest engineer’s experience with an iLive is different. Every time they encounter an iLive it’s been set up differently, sometimes good, sometimes not. This makes the initial experience confusing for a guest or festival engineer … and its first impressions that count. In comparison, every time they use a Yamaha or Avid it’s the same.

The situation is pretty much the same as with lighting consoles or DAW:s these days: You have many possibilities to execute the show. I really like the possibility to create the mix surface the way I want it, not the way Yamaha wants it. This leads to situation that house engineer must be experienced with the console and he/she must understand different approaches to both the surface and mixing.

Well, standard is good for many people but flexibility for others. They just cannot be in the same dinner table ;-)

Pitk.

PS Sorry for off topic, this could be a nice topic to talk about.

Jukka “Pitkä” Kurkela
Äänimaisema Oy, Finland
iLiveT80 / iDr32

I’m not suggesting that the flexibility, or the ability to customizing the desk be changed.

I have seen iLives set up very badly. When you watch the engineer, the work flow is awful. This reflects badly on the iLive especially when a guest engineer has to use the desk. They walk away not liking the iLive when it’s a great desk they could have fallen in love with [:)]

I’m just trying to find a way to minimize this problem within the confines of the current hardware. To make the operation of the desk as quick and easy as possible, especially when you have to walk in and do a mix during a festival. A way to by-pass a crap setup!

To me the new GLD’s layout, labeling, appearance and minor functional changes have made it very user friendly; enough to address much of what underpins my suggestion above – just hope the new firmware is able to do the same for the iLive.

FWIW If I could change the hardware I would:

• add 4 buttons like the GLD to select the function of the rotary channel knob.(love that)
• add a separate L R master fader
• add 4 (or more) buttons next to the layer buttons that take you to AUX, DCA,GROUPS & EFX
• add 8 extra user defined buttons
• add a user function that will automatically take you to the GEQ on faders e.g 16-FB mixes – press one user button and you have the GEQ for that send immediately on faders.

Peter