Profile photo of ahjeff
ahjeff

Hi Jim

A simple continuity tester will not identify subtle faults in the cable like a badly fitted connector. For this you need a more sophisticated cable analyser, but these are expensive. You can get some reassurance that you are not on the edge of the connection failing from the ACE QoS indicators. On the system info window on the touch screen (the page with the clock on it), you should see traffic lights associated with the ACE link. If these ever change to orange or red, this means you have experienced a few errors on the ACE link. These should also be reported in the touch screen event log. There isn’t that big a line between ‘working perfectly’ and ‘starting to go wrong’ with Ethernet, but if you never see any errors on the ACE link, you can be reasonably confident that you have a solid setup. If the lights are going orange or red, you can look at the exact error rate (see my earlier post). If the reading is rarely zero, this would be a fairly strong indicator that there is an issue with your cable.

Jonathan; Moving the strobe light to be powered from a different room does not necessarily rule it out as the cause of the problem, as it could still be emitting a lot of radio energy. If you don’t get the kind of sluggishness and dropouts at other venues, then this of course points to some issue with equipment at this particular venue. It could also be a combination of two problems that by themselves do not cause an issue, for example a slightly substandard cable, along with a noisy piece of lighting equipment.
This information doesn’t help you much, but my main point is that although I would always recommend using a good quality cable, I can’t predict whether or not a better cable will solve this particular issue that you are having.

Cheers

– Jeff, A&H