Y'ing

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of pilotspike pilotspike 9 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of vs100
    vs100
    Participant

How do I Y an input to another channel. Ie vocal split to eq separately to mons.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

a “Y” cord with one female XLR on one end, then two male XLR’s on the other.
    There will be no issues with too much phantom power so don’t worry about that, it works just fine.

audio Y cord

Profile photo of vs100
    vs100
    Participant

Sorry, can I do it on the board only?, no cables.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I don’t have my Qu24 yet but I would say no.
    I don’t think physical inputs can be assigned to virtual inputs like a GLD can.

Anyone? Anyone?

Profile photo of TJCornish
    TJCornish
    Participant

Of course you can do that – every non-crap digital board can do this. Select an input channel, go to the preamp tab, under “source select”, select the physical input you want to use. The default patch is physical input 1 -> input channel 1, etc., but this can easily be changed.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Just looked at QU16. Can’t see a way to do it. I know it does work on GLD. I have those on shelf in boxes.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I saw no provisions to re-route inputs to numerous channels, that’s why I said what I did.
    Reading the manual is the best fun I can have with my new AR2412 sitting here with nothing to connect it to.

Thanks GCumbee, but I thought I was correct but never want to come off as Mr. knowitall. πŸ™‚
    On another note, I wish I could delete a post.
    Dan

Profile photo of pilotspike
    pilotspike
    Participant

The confusion is that you can’t do it from the I/O page as it will only let you do a one to one mapping. Though if you select an input on the I/O page and then pull up the tab it will show you all of the routes.

In order for you to do it as mentioned above you have to go to the preamp page of the selected channel that you want to add.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hello dpdan
    I think there is crossed talk about different mixers here?
    I have these little QU’s 16s’ and have one set up permanently set up, so I can quickly check from commens made here in forums.
    I cant see any way of assigning one input to 2 channels without a Y chord.? is that anything like learning a new Jazz chord? That was a joke….

Still waiting for my QU24 as well.
    To use the ST! 2 and 3 on the AR2412 a Y chord is needed as you may have read.

Cheers

dave NZ

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Hi Dave, no confusion here, πŸ™‚
    it was TJCornish that said it was possible but I thought he was wrong.

I think pilotspike may be mistaken too.
    GLD yes, Qu series… no.

Profile photo of dcongdon
    dcongdon
    Participant

I think the confusion stems from this question being posted on the GLD discussion forum. Most thread participants seem interested in the feature for the QU series.

Just to affirm what has already been said:

GLD = Yes, you can route a single socket to multiple preamps. This is found in the preamp setup window and is very helpful for separating FOH and IEM/wedge settings. Note: you give up one of your 44 preamps to do this (similar to an analog patch). This works great if you have an ar2412 and ar84. The 8 unused preamps from the second ar84 expander can be used for duplicate channels.

QU = No, routing is 1 socket-to-1 preamp, 2-to-2 etc. You can create a custom fader arrangement on the Custom Layer, but each preamp/socket assignment is fixed.

Best of luck with your setup. Hope this is helpful.

pilotspike
    Participant

I was speaking of the GLD. I haven’t touched the Qu series. On the GLD I do this right now in order to Y a single Kick Drum mic so that I have two channels that are EQ’d differently with different dynamics.

Profile photo of Detonator
    Detonator
    Participant

vs100 –

Use the physical splitters pictured in the post by dpdan. It’s the best way to get completely separate channels with no interaction problems with the gains. I split channels digitally for 8 years on my desks and two years ago decided to go back to using “Y” splitters on the “money” channels (singers, some solo instruments, etc.), and life is much better.

Regards,

-Tim Tyler

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Detonator, I completely agree, sometimes we get so used to doing everything digital, but the old way is almost always so much faster πŸ™‚
    Dan

pilotspike
    Participant

I am not sure I follow the consternation. Maybe I am not doing something simpler than you guys but I have found it pretty fast and effective. As for gain problems I can see getting yourself messed up if you forget that one gain will control both. But isn’t that what the trim is for?

John

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.