Will A&H offer Graphic Equaliser GEQ functionality on Input Channels for the QU Mixing Desks?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Will A&H offer Graphic Equaliser GEQ functionality on Input Channels for the QU Mixing Desks?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jaykaypro
    jaykaypro
    Participant

Do you think Allen & Heath will offer GEQ on input channels for the QU (Qu-16 / Qu-24 / Qu-32) Digital Mixing Console / Desks?

Is this a simple software interface upload protocol?
    Or are the preset settings for Graphic Equaliser (GEQ) & Parametric EQ all determined and fixed in place already on the digital Qu16, Qu24 &/or Qu32 mixing console desks?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Well. I will jump in first. Generally speaking you never or never have seen GEQ on input channels of any console in my memory. A few companies like Sony, Sphere, API and maybe some others offered 9 band 1 octave graphics. If you can’t do it with that or a PEQ then there are other issues like mic choice or placement to be considered. I just think a 31 band GEQ would be extreme overkill besides eating up a lot of DSP

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

Doubt it. All the digital systems from A&H (ilive, GLD, Qu) have featured geqs fixed on the outputs. If you wanted a geq on the input you’d have to route the input to a group, geq the group, then route the group to LR.

It seems the closest you get is digital systems that don’t feature fixed geqs on outputs instead include them in the FX options to be used as inserts (Behringer X series, Roland, Yamaha,) and they can be inserted on input or outputs, but you suffer coherency issues due to the extra latency added. There are a couple of desks that can automatically time-align channels for you so that everything hits the LR bus at the same time (Avid and Midas Pro, IIRC) but that requires extra DSP, and they’re not really in the same price range as the Qu.

I’d imagine that having a geq on a single input channel and not the others would mess with the coherency of the desk. To keep everything coherant you’d need geqs on every input channel, and I doubt the Qu series would have enough available DSP to run an extra 38 geqs (in the case of the qu32) while keeping latency low.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

…can’t get rid of the picture in my mind from an analogue desk with GEQ in every input channel… 😉
    Seriously, don’t see the need for a GEQ for channel processing. You already can do massive frequency response manipulations using the existing PEQ and deal much more precisely with problematic frequencies as any GEQ can. An additional PEQ band along with smaller bands (higher Q) may be helpful in some situations, though.
    But, as George said, if frequency manipulation seems to be required which can’t be accomplished with the PEQ, the problem is outside the mixer.
    ..ah, and while a GEQ does require a decent quantity of DSP resources, it does not necessarily add latency. Latency compensation basically requires memory for the delay lines and obviously will increase the overall latency to match the longest signal path. I prefer to not have this dictated compensation and think before I route… 😉

Profile photo of jaykaypro
    jaykaypro
    Participant

Thanx Guys, points noted 🙂

I guess I am trying to have my bread buttered on both sides 🙂
    & I should probably research & play with Parametric Equaliser (PEQ) more.

Plus coming from Analogue into Digital at this late stage is proving to be
    a little tricky 🙂 especially when you trying to get your head around the
    digital PEQ interface. I think my biggest mistake was trying to learn digital
    off a Yamaha 01V desk. I am not saying I can’t grasp the PEQ interface,
    but when you have analogue turn dials hot-wired into your brain,
    its a little more difficult to try reset PEQ on a digital, when a turn knob
    is easier to grasp, but that’s probably down to me not playing enough on a digital desk.

With all that being said, the Qu PEQ interface is far simpler & easier to understand
    than on a 01V console 🙂

Finally I do recall my sound techie saying that the LS9 Yamaha & Roland Mixers have GEQ on inputs?
    but I speak under correction.

Well that’s it from me. Thanx for your advise & pointers.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Yup, you’re right. At least the LS9 can switch between PEQ and GEQ per channel.
    Coming from the analogue world you should be familiar using a PEQ per channel, since that’s exactly what you have on an analogue desk. Probably with less parameters (i.e. no Q, only three bands…), but the channel PEQ interface exposes the same knobs. You just need the display to check the current value, since they’re endless encoders now.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.