which hard drive for multi track??

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions which hard drive for multi track??

This topic contains 29 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of abzurd1 abzurd1 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Northernmonkry
    Northernmonkry
    Participant

Any recommendation for stable external hard drives for multi track recording on the qu16?

Thanks in advance

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant
    Profile photo of Northernmonkry
    Northernmonkry
    Participant

perfect…thanks very much

Profile photo of jraymond
    jraymond
    Participant

I got the Seagate Backup plus 1TB drive. The 500GB version is listed as tested. I haven’t had any problems with the 1TB version yet. I’ve recorded 1 full rehearsal (2 hours) and about 13 small testing clips, anywhere from 1 minute to 40 minutes.

A&H has recommended formatting before each recording session. I haven’t done that yet, but haven’t had any problems.

Profile photo of Binky
    Binky
    Participant

From the A&H recommended drives, I have two Samsung M3 500G drives that work perfectly in the Qu-drive. The supplied cables are a bit short, though.

Its a shame that all tracks are recorded and not just those that have content, but hey… what a feature!

Profile photo of Keith
    Keith
    Participant

I use a Samsung M3 portable 1TB drive and the cable is a little short but now I have my QU-16 in a Studiospares mixer rack case the drive just hangs down the side of the mixer in the case – just don’t put the mixer down with it still there! I love the fact it records everything since I don’t have to think about it apart from arming and pressing play and since it works as an insert on each channel I can set the gains correctly for recording and then the faders set the FOH level. Excellent.

Profile photo of jet1968
    jet1968
    Participant

Just got the Samsung M3 this week and it tested fine so all set up to record this weekends gig. When recording multitrack, at what point of the signal path is it tapped off to the Qu drive…?, preEQ, prefade, etc?? (or selectable?) Be nice to have some ‘raw’ data to play around with in the DAW.

Profile photo of jet1968
    jet1968
    Participant

Also, did you need to update your firmware on the M3 or just plug n play? Just tried searching for a firmware update but to no avail!!

Profile photo of BluDru
    BluDru
    Participant

Just ordered a Seagate Backup Plus based on this thread. Thanks for the info.
    Drew

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

I got a 1TB Backup Plus, and I find it takes a seemingly very long time for it to read, to format, and to save to a 1 TB drive. Few sessions are larger than 30 – 50 gigs anyway, and the 500s are no longer available. So, I have an old 60G Seagate Momentus that is in a simple YSB case, and it works fine, if a little small, only one show at a time on it. I have a 320G Apple/Hitachi out of my laptop that works fine is a $14 Rosewill case, and my best option is I bought a 250G Seagate and put it in a case that has USB2 and Firewire 800, so I get speedier downloads to my Mac.

The peculiar thing about this drive is it works perfectly on USB power (I recorded it full to 8 hours overnight as a test) but if I plug in a 5V power supply, the drive is not recognized! No problem, as that means I don’t need to carry a PS for it, but it is strange.

Anyway I now have three drives for various gigs…

Profile photo of ThomasL
    ThomasL
    Participant

I recently got the recommended WD Elements Drive with 500G. It works perfectly so far and is as far as I know, at least in germany, the best value for money thing out of the recommended hard disks.

Regards,
    Thomas

Profile photo of HansvdL
    HansvdL
    Participant

I also got a Western Digital Elements (1TB), and it seems to work well. You have to let the Qu-16 reformat the drive, because is it NTFS formatted out-of-the-box, and the Qu-16 only supports FAT32 formatted drives (as far as I know).

I tried a Verbatim Store’n’Go 500GB drive, which is FAT32 formatted already, but the Qu-16 didn’t recognize it, so that Verbatim drive won’t work.

Regards, Hans

Profile photo of prodigio
    prodigio
    Participant

I used 6 different hard disks but all not works well… My multitrack result got problems (cuts)… Please visit this forum page https://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/qu-drive-multitrack-recording-with-cuts

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

Bought the WD 500gb, £40 – great value. Recorded last night and recording tonight, haven’t listened to them yet but fast to arm and format. Upgraded drive firmware too. Very neat little drive.

Profile photo of Ron
    Ron
    Participant

Anybody use the Seagate back up plus slim version?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.