Using External Effects Unit on QU-32 console

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Using External Effects Unit on QU-32 console

This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of OceanRoad OceanRoad 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of OceanRoad
    OceanRoad
    Participant

Hi guys,
    I’m new to the digital QU-32 desk. I like some of the pre sets for the onboard FX options, however, our vocalist prefers our tried & true “Lexicon MX300” unit.

I guess my question is how can I set the unit up properly on the qu32 desk to route the mx300 effects onto his channel?

Is there a step by step guide for doing this? I’ve read some scant information about this but I’m not sure what settings need adjusting & how the unit should be physically connected to the desk using the TRS / patch cable connections

Thanks for any help…
    GG

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

There’s probably several options, but I’d keep it simple:

I would feed the Lexicon from one of the mix outputs (probably Mix 1) and return it either into either one of the stereo inputs, or two of the channels line ins (probably 31 & 32) in exactly the same way as I would do on an analogue desk. For just one vocal, no need to run two inputs, though you could (e.g. from Mix 9+10) if you want/need the 4 mono sends.

You should be able to run XLR-XLR from the desk for the unit’s inputs (if I remember correctly it has both XLR & TRS on the back) a pair of TRS-TRS from it’s outputs.

Then (making sure the Mix Out is up) send vocalist to the mix out you’ve chosen in the same way as yod’d send to the internal effects, and adjust & rout the returned signal level in exactly the same way as any other source. Just be sure not to send the returned signal in a loop back to the Lexicon again, as that can result in horribleness.

OceanRoad
    Participant

Thanks Mark,
    appreciate your response, I’ll give your advice a try & see how we go

thank you !

Profile photo of Tone
    Tone
    Participant

Hi I have a QU-16 just I just recently purchased. I am new to using a console to record as I did everything in the box using pro tools. I also just got an external compressor to have as an external processor aside from whats on the console. my problem is Ive tried to find videos that would show me how to set it up and even tried to find blogs and other reading material but for some reason its not processing the signal. I understand that part of the routing problem is that there are no inserts so it will be a little tricky on how to set it up. If you could assist me with these and break it down dummy style as I am new to this whole thing thanks.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

OceanRoad, also make SURE that the DRY/WET mix is set to full WET.

Tone, You are going to get considerably better results if you do not use an external compressor unless it provides some magical sound that can not be achieved with the built-in compressor on the Qu.

Here is why it will be a complete aggravating pain to use an external compressor.

I won’t go into all the details of how most compressors work, but every time you raise the output that is feeding that external compressor, you are causing the compressor to compress the audio more. The more you lower the output that is feeding the external compressor, the less compressed the sound will be, because you are lowering it’s input, hence not allowing it to be above the threshold setting.

You didn’t say what output you planned to use this external compressor on, but I highly suggest using the compressor that is built into the Qu mixer and don’t use the external one. You can use external processing of course, but you will be fighting the external compressor every time to change the level going to it.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

You can also use the FX mixes – assuming you don’t need them for anything else, and route them out over the Alt-Out or dSnake connections.

Profile photo of oceanroad
    oceanroad
    Participant

Thanks everyone for your responses, looks like we should keep using the onboard factory effects rather than causing ourselves grief by adding the MX300. My only wish is that the library of effects on the QU32 improve somewhat from the “dry / empty” ones already on there. I guess I’m looking for a nice sweet sounding reverb & delay that 3rd party plugins offer. Some decent development could improve this area.

Thanks

GG

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant
    Profile photo of Smalltown Jim
    Smalltown Jim
    Participant

If you really want/need to bring an external compressor signal into the QU, Let’s assume that you have a high end studio compressor; Then probably the only easy way to do this in a recording environment is to also add a good quality external preamp preamp ahead of your compressor (You’ll probably want to make some EQ control ahead of the comp too) You can then bring the external equipment signal chain into a suitable input of your QU; obviously loosing remote/software adjustment via computer based software. A friend of mine likes to do this, works Ok.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

Profile photo of oceanroad
    oceanroad
    Participant

Thanks guys, appreciate the responses

Profile photo of joanmale
    joanmale
    Participant

What about an Aphex Ahural Exciter from the 80s? just like another FX? or passing the main mix through it?

OceanRoad
    Participant

We’ve since abandoned the idea of an external effects unit and just use the FX options that the system has built into it. Working well….. thanks for the post anyway. 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.