Using Effects Returns

Forums Forums iLive Forums iLive general discussions Using Effects Returns

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of millst millst 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

Hi

I have a gig using all 64 channels and a guest engineer wants to bring their own Effects processors.
    Can I use the effects returns channels to return the analog output of external processors without using up desk channels.

I want to send to the external procesor using a mono aux out of analog outputs and return to analog inputs on the desk but assign these to one of the 8 stereo effects returns.

Is this possible, I can’t seem to find a way of doing it.

Regards
    Toby

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Well. I would ask. Where are the sockets to plug in those external devices?

Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

on the surface.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Are there dedicated effects returns on an iLive? Didn’t know that. You said you needed 64 inputs. So what is left? If there are no dedicated returns on a console you HAVE to use inputs.

Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

I have plenty of spare inputs, some of the channels are copies of another input so I am not using all my physical inputs.
    What I am short on is channels, I am using all 64.
    Yes, the 8 stereo effects returns on the iLive do not consume any of your 64 channels they are in addition.

What I would like to do is assign the input of the returns to a physical input instead of the output of an onboard effect.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Then you use a mix buss. An aux buss. Route it to the outboard device the the mono or stereo return back into the console. Same as we did with analog boards from the beginning. I just did not know iLives had dedicated effects return that don’t use up channels.

Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

Yes. exactly, that is what I am doing.
    Sending the effects send on a mono Aux out set to post fade and routed out a physical output.
    That part is easy.

What I can’t figure out is where to set the source of the effects returns so they use a physical input instead of an internal effect.
    I have been fiddling with the patch bay on the ‘back panel’ of the effects processors, but am not sure if I should use the Mix -> Return setting or the insert setting or if there is another way.

Toby

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Logical thing would be a mix return. But I am not familiar with iLive architecture. Someone else who is needs to chime in. I am just having a problem believing there are dedicated returns. And if so why do they route through the internal effects. Just not logical.

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

GCumbee
    There are no dedicated fx return sockets on the board! Bjt there are plenti jack inputs they might not be assigned to any of the 64channels in the software! So the question is if you can route an (standard) input socket directly to the fx-return in the software!
    I’ve never tried that before but if you would use the insert point you may not have the Gain to correct the input-level! Couldn’t you just try it on your console? Other solution could be if you can set up another scene for the guest engineer and swap one input-routing of a copied channel to act for the fx return!? Guest engineer might not need all these copies!?

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Toby at al,

The FX Returns are dedicated to the internal iLive FX I’m afraid, you can’t patch a physical input to these channels, nor they have an Insert point.

I would use a Scene for the guest engineer as suggested above. Another workaround in case you have any spare bus is to patch the physical inputs from the FX unit to the Ext In of a Stereo Group. Use this Group as an FX Return channel.

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Just to understand. If there are physical inputs in the back but you can’t do anything with them why are they there? What is their purpose? Guess I need to study iLive system diagram.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

George, the Surface physical inputs can be patched to any Input Channel, Mix Ext In or Port B out. Only they cannot be patched to the dedicated FX Return channels.

Profile photo of clarocque
    clarocque
    Participant

I would do like Nicola suggested as long as you have the busses… set up 8 (or however many you need) stereo groups (or mono if a mono effects return)…

Then assign a physical input to ext. input to the stereo group.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

Thanks all, I have rocked it with Groups and it worked great. Thanks for the fast response.

@george on the iLive the physical inputs and outputs and channels can be independent of each other.
    That means you can soft patch any physical or even virtual input / output onto any channel (or bus as it turns out).
    The reason why you could have left overs if that if you were say using 10 channels with a dante signal, then the physical inputs for those channels would be unused. On most desks this would mean you couldn’t use them for anything but on the iLive you could plug something into those unused inputs and route them wherever you want.

Its the ultimate in flexibility which is why I knew there would be a solution or workaround to my problem that didn’t involve wasting physical inputs / outputs or channels.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.