Using an external preamp

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Using an external preamp

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

I am sure this is a basic question, but I need some direction. I would like to add my two channel BAE 1073 mic preamp to two channels of the QU-16 for a recording project (drums). What is the proper way to connect the preamp so as to completely override the QU-16 preamps?

Thanks.

Profile photo of WaihekeSoundie
    WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

I’m sure it’s not possible- all inputs even the ST inputs go through the preamps. There is no toggle to disable the preamp on any input. That said the preamps are very transparent and also won’t add any audible noise if turned down to accept a line level preamp from an external preamp.

Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

Thanks,
    That being said, is it ok to simply connect my preamp to the XLR mic inputs or would the line ins be better?

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Listen to both and decide. At this point it’s all about the sound you want, which will depend on mic, placement, preamp, levels and (most critically) your (or your producer’s) ear.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I would do the line inputs with adapters or xlr>trs cables. Should be cleaner may still need pads.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

I don’t know if this is at all possible but maybe use a mix return on one of the stageboxes ?

Giga

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Stagebox is all micnpreamps. They have explicit pads as well (since they are GLD spec) though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.