USB PC WIndows Question

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting USB PC WIndows Question

This topic contains 17 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jport
    jport
    Participant

I have installed the windows driver for my pc and have set it up to record via USB. So far so good, but what I would like to know is how do you receive playback from the board? and can you also playback audio from the computer going into the board?

For example: I’m using wavlab, input works great but playback doesn’t seem to go to the board. It’s setup as an ASIO driver and I can assign some channels to the output but the qu-16 doesn’t seem to see it.

To add to this question; IF playback is possible, can I also playback something from the computer (say a youtube video or audio samples) and have that stream to the qu-16? basically using the usb connection as an audio i/o for the computer and not just specific audio software? I do see an output called qu-16 speakers on my computer and there is signal to it, but again, not sure where it’s going and if it’s actually being received by the qu-16.

Profile photo of jport
    jport
    Participant

Really? Nobody has tried to stream to the qu16 from a computer?

Anybody?

Profile photo of WaihekeSoundie
    WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

Hi
    I’m using a mac but I suspect your “issue” is on the QU set side not the DAW..
    This is better explained in the user guide (make sure you have the latest downloaded from A&H site though).
    But here is what I do.. lets keep it simple and do LR main mix output playback

>> Turn on QU then DAW and make sure that DAW can see the QU. If DAW can see the QU it should be able to see 22 outputs– 16 ch + the 3 stereo ST1..3.
    >> I map the LR main output in my DAW to send to hardware CH 23/24 on the QU. Note the channel USB inputs in the QU seem hard mapped so 21/22 infact corresponds to ST3 on the QU
    >> Go to QU and select ST3. Press Processing button.. select the channel.. select FN and make sure that Global USB source is USB B Streaming and that ST3 source is USB B.
    >> Hit play in your DAW you should see signal on ST3 🙂

Hope this helps.
    Andy

WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

Sorry>> I map the LR main output in my DAW to send to hardware CH 23/24 on the QU — should have been 21/22.. opps…

So lets try that again..

>> Turn on QU then DAW and make sure that DAW can see the QU. If DAW can see the QU it should be able to see 22 outputs– 16 ch + the 3 stereo ST1..3.
    >> I map the LR main output in my DAW to send to hardware CH 21/22 on the QU. Note the channel USB inputs in the QU seem hard mapped (far as I can see anyway) so 21/22 infact corresponds to ST3 on the QU
    >> Go to QU and select ST3. Press Processing button.. select the channel.. select FN and make sure that Global USB source is USB B Streaming and that ST3 source is USB B.
    >> Hit play in your DAW you should see you DAW L/R main out signal on ST3

Andy

Profile photo of jport
    jport
    Participant

Yes, thank you! (Sorry for the late reply) you are right it is was on the global settings. I remember seeing that before but forgot and couldn’t find it in the manual. I do have playback on wavlab but I still don’t really see an option to stream back audio from other programs on the PC (like Internet or media player etc…). It seems someone else has asked this question in another forum as well but while it seems to work on a Mac, it does not work on a PC.

WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

I can see from Windows Media player and from Foobar2000 an option in the respective programs to playback using Speakers: QU-16. I can only see this when my mixer is up and running and USB connected. I can also see this from control panel — same proviso. Prob pays to try with mixer booted up and connected before you open tour playback app.

Note that QU 16 speakers on the PC play back to CH2 and CH2 on the QU (WHY not ST3?? anyway..) — so those channels need to be set to receive from USB-Streaming as opposed to analag or mute else you won’t hear a peep.

Hope helps
    Andy

WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

Sorry should have read “Note that QU speakers play back on CH1 and CH2 on the QU” (not CH2 and CH2)..

never post without your glasses on..
    Anyway– hope helps.
    Andy

Profile photo of Dirk PHC
    Dirk PHC
    Participant

I am really happy the PC connectivity, and using the qu16 with pc connection without problem.

Is your problems solved, are you sure you have set the QU16 inputs correctly, you need to select USb streaming etc as mentioned by waiheke…

Only issue I experience is that apparantly the qu16 is 48k sample rate fixed. Note this does not impact mediaplayer etc … , but only using my DAW, ie my DAW (Sonar) projects need to be 48k sample rate and this again resulting in some performance issue specifically loading EZdrummer samples (are 41.1k and need conversion when loading), and offcourse my older/existing projects, all are with 41.1 sample rate do not work without conversion.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hi.
    Gosh I thought my windows days were over after learning MAC for 3 years!
    But here I am trying to get Reaper working with QU YEH!
    It works a treat. 16 channel multitrack play but with a mic also added from desk to record to a track although terrible latency, however its a start!
    I have the audio coming back into 21-21 for returns to ST3 for mixing in the box.
    Otherwise it returns fine with no issues for “audio”

However a few issues…
    It seems any media players winamp VLC etc only return to channels 1 & 2
    There is no mapping like the A&H Dice software?
    Are we supposed to install any other software for that?
    I seem to remember software that you could map this out?
    Think it was for the ZedR16 and GSR24M?

And also is there no Midi control change data yet?

Any ideas please let me know

Thanks

dave NZ

WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

Yes I would really like some way of changing the default return from Window from CH 1 / CH2.. (to ST 3 say)
    would be really cool to stream continuity music from a laptop but Ch 1 / Ch2 are a really strange choice to receive it on.. these channels are likely to be in full show use and I don’t want to be swapping their source and levels just to play my backing tracks..

Andy NZ

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hello Andy
    I have just spent a wee bit of time on QU16 with Win 7 and Reaper.
    Ive managed to sus out how to use the QU as a DAW with movable faders and Solo, mute and track select..
    Little bit of trial and error stuff. just takes time.
    I did the channel mapping thingy.

For playback of your 2 track audio , you could put some music onto tracks 21-21 which returns back into ST3.
    That works I just tried that.
    However you have to really think about whether you are wanting to use streaming or QU drive etc…
    Think it would be easier to just use a separate manual device in a live situation returning to the small ST3 jack.

anyhow
    I’m really please this works well.
    It’s not up to the Mac specs yet where the desk lights toggle off and on however its pretty damn good from where I have come from.

dave NZ

So I’m sure A & H will be working on this whole scenario.

WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

Hi Dave
    Thanks man.
    Yeh you are right.

I’m running my intermission music from Foobar2000 playlists on my laptop because it is really easy– saves me burning CDS or making sticks up for QU drive and although I can go out of my laptop headphone port into ST3 I would prefer not to because my laptop headphone amp is such poor quality that I can hear the dynamics squished when played back on my PA.

I would much rather address the QU ASIO driver directly from Foobar over USB B. For example RME have made it possible that Foobar can playback on any of the 16 channels of my RME Hammerfall gear when I’m using that .. and by same token I can see all the channels of the QU from my Reaper DAW so why not from Foobar or Windows Media Player? Why only CH1 and CH2 fixed? Make them ST3 and I’d be happy.

Show stopper? Nope. Of course not. Nice to have? Would be I think..
    I will add to the Feature Suggestions area.
    Thanks

Profile photo of Davec
    Davec
    Participant

I’m using an Apple airport express on my qu-16. One benefit is using the iPad to stream music, through the mini-jack out on the airport express.
    By the way, how many Kiwis are here?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

about 4 Million kiwis. :+)
    We are so far away from your mainland that we have to reinvent the wheel all of the time! also our night time is your day time. :+)

Yes sometimes things are best just kept really simple.
    I carry around a disc-man with a few discs, just in case…. & in the case as well. Hopefully I never have to get it out.

So I take it there are no Templates for QU & windows? YET?
    The Mac thing of course “just works”
    I spent the best part of a day (experimenting) mapping QU faders to Reaper (ITB) faders.
    I noticed most knobs excluding the superstrip FX & mix button’s seem to send midi data which can be mapped to the likes of actions in Reaper. (although the desk lights per channel do not light up)
    However it seems slightly quicker than MAC

I couldn’t post the template up on here.
    Its not permitted, so if anyone wants to know how to do this let me know.

thanks
    dave NZ

Profile photo of Davec
    Davec
    Participant

I should have said how many of us Kiwis are here 🙂

Jansen must have done a good job.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.