USB Multi-track stream over Dante

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting USB Multi-track stream over Dante

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sarge sarge 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sarge
    sarge
    Participant

Hi all,

I have a puzzle and am hoping someone would be able to help. I currently have a set-up where I’m using my Qu-16 to act as the DAW (Reaper) control for a live recording mix. However, I can’t seem to get the Qu-16 to hook up with my DAW (Reaper). A team member is handling the live house mix on his Behringer X32 and I’m handling the live recording mix on the Qu-16. We are using Dante to stream the audio to both boards.

So we are basically streaming audio from Dante to the Behringer X32/Macbook for the house and the Windows 10 PC for recording. How do we make the Qu-16 act as the DAW control for the audio streaming into the the PC running Reaper?

Live House Setup:
    Behringer X32
    Macbook with Dante Virtual Sound card
    Reaper

|
    | Audio streamed over Dante
    V

Live Recording Mix Setup:
    Qu-16
    Windows 10 with Dante Virtual Sound card
    Reaper

Thanks in advance!

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

Is the audio going into your recording computer before it goes into the Qu?

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Sounds like the QU is being used as a pure surface?

Profile photo of sarge
    sarge
    Participant

@airickess Yes the audio is going to the computer and like @xapbob observed, QU is basically just a pure interface as DAW control so it is easier to mix the recording live on-site.

Profile photo of gravyface
    gravyface
    Participant

When you take Dante out of the equation, can you get the Qu-16 to DAW control Reaper? Should be really straightforward to setup. Did you watch this video?

Profile photo of sarge
    sarge
    Participant

@gravyface Thanks! I did try it, but because I’m running Windows 10, it won’t work since the DAW control driver from A-H is only for Mac.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

You don’t need the DAW Control driver to control a DAW. DAW control only maps “Qu MIDI” to the HUI protocol, which allows to control faders and mutes. Using the native Qu MIDI protocol allows much more remote control. You just need to configure your DAW properly.

Profile photo of sarge
    sarge
    Participant

Update: I was able to get QU16 to work as the control surface for playback from Reaper.

Anyone know how to send from Reaper to Qu16 while there’s a live audio stream coming from Dante?

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Yo, Sarge…

Why not just record the tracks on a nice, approved hard drive, then load them into Reaper for post? You don’t want to be changing things during recording (levels, EQ, dynamics). You want nice dry, stable tracks with the possible exception of live mixing a stereo mix or possibly stems.

What do you need to “control” in Reaper while recording tracks? The only thing I can think of is setting track marks.

Profile photo of sarge
    sarge
    Participant

@dick-rees

I have a guy doing the live mix on an X32 and I’m doing the recording on the Qu. But it’s true, if we do post instead of live, the mix would be more stable. I guess we just want to save the trouble of post if we can do it live 😛

No real control needed in Reaper while recording. Basically just acts like a bridge from Dante to the Qu where I can do the recording mix. I might be asking for too much tho…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.