USB B streaming audio distortion (Qu-24)

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting USB B streaming audio distortion (Qu-24)

This topic contains 41 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Cam Cam 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Interesting find! Could be that the OS tries to play some system sound in parallel with the application using the Qu via Asio/CoreAudio.
    Never assigned my “pro” audio gear to be the default sound device so I probably never run into similar issues.
    I’ll give it a try to see if I can finally replicate that issue on my setups.

Profile photo of David Haughton
    David Haughton
    Keymaster

Hi all, hope you’re well. Thanks to Ernie (@vin7) for the information. Can anyone confirm that Ernie’s solution works for them or you still get the intermittent noise? @lrdtgarsas @asicam @philt80 @rjmsheath Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Cheers. Harry.

Profile photo of philt80
    philt80
    Participant

Hi Harry,
    Unfortunately, I got around the issue by completely replacing my motherboard. I just got kind of fed up and it was a last resort. I did try the onboard sound card as my main device with no better changes. The only thing I can relate it to is the southbridge chipset changed. (with the new motherboard) I kept everything else the same (video, HDD, usb cables, ram, add on cards etc). I can get you the models of mobos if needed. In the end that was what fixed it. I have not had the issue since then.

Phit80

Profile photo of Boriss
    Boriss
    Participant

Hi man, I got the same problem as you,only that i have a macbook pro mid 2014

Profile photo of I am
    I am
    Participant

Well isn’t that something I could return my computer buy a MacBook Pro and have the same exact problem. Thanks for the info . I guess it’s not just an HP thing.

Profile photo of mk
    mk
    Participant
    Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

No, ta a computer industry issue – USB is so cheap that nothing else stood a chance, so anything that has a requirement not met by USB (time reliability) is always hanging on by a thread

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Nice article. Sad point is, that we already were at that point including fix and I simply forgot the xHCI issue:
    Qu-24 electrical noises during streaming

Profile photo of mk
    mk
    Participant

Regarding the article: last I explored the issue on my QU 16 I had previous build of Win 10. Now I run Version 1607 (Anniversary Update) and I noticed Windows installed and is using Microsoft’s driver — not Intel’s one. According to the article this could be one of ways how to make USB working. Unfortunately I do not remember if I had Intel’s or MS’s driver in the old installation so I can’t do a comparison. Nevertheless I have connected to QU, have set streaming mode to minimal latency and just playing music. When the issue was appearing it usually got distorted in ten minutes. We will see, I will post result after I have some.

Profile photo of JP
    JP
    Participant

YES!! Thanks Andreas! I was having this robotic sound / static issue when streaming from my Qu-Pac to Windows 10. Disabling xHCI as described here worked perfectly.

Profile photo of lrdtgarsas
    lrdtgarsas
    Participant

No noise for 1 year since I followed Ernie’s recommendations (onboard card as default sound device) Thanks to Ernie who bring life to one Qu-24..! šŸ™‚

Profile photo of I am
    I am
    Participant

Do you mean select in your Daw?

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant
    Profile photo of I am
    I am
    Participant

Already read this post it changes nothing. Iā€™m not even recording my inputs are locally enabled and I just sit there and watch sporadic signal noise into my DAW.

Profile photo of BCEly
    BCEly
    Participant

Do A&H have a working solution for the distortion on USB3 ports yet ?

I’m on a windows 10 platform with as laptop that only has USB3 and no way of disabling the XHCI in BIOS

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.