USB-B Problems

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting USB-B Problems

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of brassblaster
    brassblaster
    Participant

O.K., Qu-32 gurus.

What am I doing wrong?

I’m trying to use the USB-B to stream audio to our streaming computer using mix 9-10. I’ve installed the proper A&H driver and the Adobe flash media encoder sees the 32 as an audio device. I’ve changed the internal audio properties to receive a 32 channel 24 bit signal, but I am getting no signal at all.

My normal method is using a Roland Cakewalk to send the signal, and that works fine, but I’d prefer to use the USB.

Also, is there a way for the same FX I’m using at FOH, eg. 2 Tap, to be carried over to the stream as well without having to insert one blanket FX? It would be great if everything I’m doing in service would be heard online.

All help is greatly appreciated!!

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Using Mix9-10 you just need to route the FX return into that channel as well. Layer 2, select the FX return channel and routing screen to make sure it is enabled to Mix9-10

brassblaster
    Participant

Thanks, Bob. I had that setup backwards (don’t ask), so I appreciate your help.

My main issue still remains; how to use the USB-B to stream. It seems so simple, but I’m obviously missing something. I thought it might be a bad cable, but the computer recognizes the 32 through that same cable, so that can’t be it.

I’m stumped, and more than a little frustrated!

brassblaster
    Participant

Still seeking help.

Is it possible to use the USB-B for live streaming, but keep FOH?

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Is it possible to use the USB-B for live streaming, but keep FOH?

I use the USB-b port to feed Nicecast/Shoutcast running on a MacBook to stream live audio to radio stations for remote broadcast. I have my own server and the stations can log in and tap my stream. However, there can be significant and variable latency involved using the Internet.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Not sure what you mean by USB-B and FOH – the main outputs are unaffected by the USB-B cable…

brassblaster
    Participant

True, Bob.
    What I’m trying to figure out is this: can I run a separate streaming mix over the USB-B while still giving me full control of the FOH mix. The only way I’ve found to do this is through the master routing panel, effectively eliminating the FOH mix completely. Right now, I’m using Mix 9-10 through a Roland Cakewalk to our streaming computer. It works very well, and is very easy to quickly switch between the two mixes. I was just hoping to be able to get rid of the Cakewalk, but have been unsuccessful so far.
    I have the A&H Windows driver installed, etc., as stated above, but, still no signal.
    I’m starting to think what I’m trying to do is simply not possible on this desk.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Why using Cakewalk?

IIRC USB outputs 1&2 are picked up as a “normal” stereo soundcard, and so could be used to feed any streaming software trivially.

brassblaster
    Participant

I wish it were that simple, Bob. I’ve tried everything I can think of to get our streaming computer to receive the signal from our Qu-32, even had a pro from the audio store I deal with to try and help me out. I must be missing something if it’s as simple as you say, but I have no clue what. This is a PC running Windows 7 ,with no DAW installed, i5 16 Gb’s ram running Flash Media Live Encoder. We use the Blackmagic pci video capture card, and it all works fine, but only with the Cakewalk.
    If you have ANY suggestions, I’m all ears!

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

You still haven’t given clear information on your routing and configuration.

What is the purpose of the streaming and what program are you using for your stream?

It would seem that you’re trying to send a two-channel stream to your computer via
    USB-b by using Mix 9/10. You need to assign Mix 9/10 to channels 1/2 in your USB output routing and select Qu-32 as your audio source in your computer and in your streaming program.

Now all you have to do is do two different mixes simultaneously on the 32…

But why are you not using a Matrix instead of a Mix? Is the streaming feed really that different in content from your L/R Masters?

brassblaster
    Participant

Dick, I think you may have solved my problem.
    I assumed I needed to send all 32 channels on the USB-B routing page, but, thinking about it, that makes no sense, since I’m mixing with mix 9-10.
    I’m heading over to the church now to try it out.
    I also checked for a newer version of Adobe Media Server and found one released in June, so we’ll see if that makes a difference, too.

I thought about just using the matrix, but the mix is different, not hugely, but enough to be noticeable. The stream doesn’t have to worry about room dynamics, obviously, so that in itself changes the mix. The level I run the bass guitar, for example, is quite different from FOH to stream; I’m able to run it hotter on stream than in house and achieve a nice, punchy mix in both cases.

Your (and everyone else’s) help is greatly appreciated!!

Thank you.

I will post an update if your suggestions work, which I think they will, because that is one thing I haven’t/didn’t think to try yet!

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

That’s where the matrix excels – Add a bit more Bass guitar, but nothing else, and mostly the FOH mix…

Probably add a bunch from your speech group as well (at least that’s how ours runs)

brassblaster
    Participant

Dick and Bob, your help has helped me sort out my USB-B woes, but now I have another issue: when I was using the cakewalk as an external soundcard, I had to cut and boost (read, pull back the band, increase the speaker’s fader; not talking about gain) whenever someone tried to speak over top of the band. While the band does an OK job of pulling themselves back, I know it’s my job to perfect it. Our wireless mic (yes, we have just one) has never been an issue, just our two (again, yes, just two) FM mics, until yesterday morning.

All three were substantially quieter online than ever before. I’m thinking it’s because of the audio card installed in the computer that’s just not of the same quality as the cakewalk (it has gain and compression) and needs to be replaced to improve performance.

Does this make sense to you? If so, what audio card brands do you recommend?

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I’d be boosting the speech mics into the streamed mix.

At church I have a slightly complex setup (not on a QU), so bear with it for a moment.

The vocalist mics are normally not routed to the Loop or Foyer mixes except as part of the main mix.
    The Speech mics however get a significant boost, this effectively ‘compresses’ the music, by boosting the spoken word.

When a vocalist starts to talk however… They are much too quiet in those mixes.
    So I have a “vocal boost” aux, which I send to the foyer and loop matrices – the vocalist mices are unity post-fade into the mix, and the mix master is on my custom layer.
    Additionally the FX return is ducked, based on the level of the Mix output – so when I boost the vocalists speech into the loop/foyer mixes the FX are automatically cut – we don’t need/want reverb and chorus on speech…

In general speech is much lower energy than singing or music, so it will need to be significantly boosted into the streaming matrix.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.