Switching between AB168 and QU16 Desk

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Switching between AB168 and QU16 Desk

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of robbocurry robbocurry 8 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Colonel Ted
    Colonel Ted
    Participant

We have been having a number of issues with our AB168.

On a number of occasions, after plugging everything into the snake, and switching to a previously utilized scene with all DSnake inputs from a previous gig, (now changed in 1.7 to simply a yellow input), the yellow DS icon in the lower right of the display goes to what is best described as a “greyed out” version of the icon.

The AB168 is unchanged…two blue lights + the yellow flickering light at both ends of the cat5 connecting cable. The unit is plugged directly into mains power. No power bars / extensions etc.

After fiddling, we get an indication that things are running via the AB168.

HOWEVER, what most would consider “normal” volumes coming through the FOH via local inputs, when switched to the AB168 inputs, become incredibly muted, even when gain settings are identical.

What should be coming out of the FOH speakers at a healthy volume via the stage box, is coming out muted.

No one wants to deal with the issue when setting up for a gig so we switch to local inputs and muddle through.

This makes using the stage box / AB168 superfluous. It is simply an unreliable $1,400 boat anchor.

Any big ideas as to what is going on?

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

quite posibly a bad ethernet cable, especially if the yellow icon was yeallow and then changed.
    If the cable is determined to be good, then the AB168 is the problem and I would suggest contacting A&H.

Colonel Ted
    Participant

I’ve experimented with my back up cable and there’s no difference. The volume levels coming via the AB168 are completely different, and considerably muted, compared to direct connections into the desk.

The Ethernet cable is 50′ in both cases.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

hmmm, I would absolutely bet that the AB168 needs to be replaced under warranty

Colonel Ted
    Participant

Also note that the volume of QDrive recordings OUT to the FOH speakers via the AB168 is fine.

Profile photo of Hawk
    Hawk
    Participant

Actually, it is $999 now 😉

Colonel Ted
    Participant

Thanks for that useful information. It remains a $999 ineffectual boat anchor at that, or any other price.

Here’s what I’ve heard from the A&H Rep via a distributor of the product:

“There’s an intermittent issue with the AB168 units during bootup…the expanders will revert to a previous factory firmware version and the Qu is not recognized properly.

R&D are currently writing a maintenance update for Qu firmware (as the Qu mixer will automatically update the AB168 firmware), but this will not be available most likely for a few more weeks.

Other solution is to send us the AB168 unit, we will update the firmware manually.

Or connect the AB168 to a GLD mixer with firmware V1.42 or higher, this will also update the firmware in the AB168.

The firmware update will resolve the situation”.

It’s nice to see A&H are making their problem my problem.

It would be very, very difficult to recommend any of this hardware given this situation. As it stands, the band, who have been playing gigs since the mid 70’s, consider the A&H stuff unreliable crap. The longer the issue goes unresolved, the faster the reputation will spread via word of mouth.

A&H needs that sort of reputation like they need a bad dose of the clap.

The ball’s in their court. Let’s see if they step up and do the right thing.

Profile photo of Hawk
    Hawk
    Participant

The explanation makes sense, Qu should have been able to update remote box’s firmware like GLD. Maybe 1.71 will have this feature.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

There are remarkably few people affected by this issue (based on the fact that I’d expect a lot of them to be shouting here).

The failure to have the QU do firmware magic on the stage box wasn’t a good decision in hindsight…

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

@ColonelTed
    Any new product can have teething problems, at least you have a resolution at hand.

Why not send it in or hook up with someone with a GLD?
    If you post your location someone in the GLD forum may live near you and be willing to help?

Worst case scenario is you have to plug directly into the mixer and use an iPad for a few gigs until it’s sorted.

I know things going wrong when you’re under pressure can be a total nightmare for all concerned, but at least now you’re forewarned 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.