Surface input as stereo single fader strip?

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Surface input as stereo single fader strip?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Brian 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GerMan
    GerMan
    Participant

If only external inputs to a single stereo fader strip can be combined? See manual https://www.allen-heath.com/media/dLive-Firmware-Reference-Guide-V1.3.pdf site 41.
    I would also combine with pleasure the inputs in the surface to a single fader strip (not Gang group). There the stereo devices as for example CD player, media player etc. are mostly connected directly in the surface.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant

Hi GerMan,

If you’re looking to combine channels outside of stereos and gangs, would DCAs or Groups do the trick? (Manual page 32).

Profile photo of GerMan
    GerMan
    Participant

This is not the desired option. As well as with MixRack there should also be for the Surface the option set two channels as single stereo fader strip.
    See here: https://www.allen-heath.com/media/dLive-Firmware-Reference-Guide-V1.3.pdf page 41.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi GerMan,

I’m not sure I understand your post. When configuring a stereo input channel in dLive, as described in the guide, you can indeed use a single fader strip to control that channel. For example the AES stereo inputs in Layer F of the template Shows use single fader strips.

Was this request meant for GLD (I’ve noticed you posted in the GLD forum too)?

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant

Hi German,

Any source can be patched to any input channel. Then, any pair of odd/even channels can be made stereo. (Please see page 26 of the manual for more on patching.) You could for example, patch the first two inputs of the surface to channel 1 & 2, and then pair them stereo. You could then place those two channels as a stereo single fader strip anywhere you like on the surface.

You can absolutely set surface sockets to form a stereo pair, just as you can from the mixrack.

Profile photo of GerMan
    GerMan
    Participant

Hello Nicola,
    singles stereo fader strip can be activated apparently only for input channals in the MixRack. In the Surface (input 1-8) this direct option is not possible. Only they AES/EBU input channals 9/10 an 11/12 are single stereo fader strip. Or have I overlooked what?
    The direct option in the dLive does not have the GLD also in the Expander. This was the reason for my question in the GLD forum.

@michael: But which of 128 input channals (manual page 41) is the 8 xlr inputs of the Surface?

Thanks for the help!

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi GerMan,

dLive has a fully customisable patch system. The Surface inputs can be patched to ANY channel (1-128). Look at the I/O Screen / Inputs / Surface Input Sockets to see where they are patched. On a template Show, they are patched to channel 115-126 (127-128 is the USB playback).

So for example if you make channel 119-120 Stereo in Mixrack / Config / Input Stereos, you can then use a single fader strip to control that stereo pair. The Mixrack / Config / Input Stereos menu deals with the DSP channel configuration (that’s why it says Mixrack). Where the inputs are sourced from is irrelevant.

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of GerMan
    GerMan
    Participant

Hi Nicola,

oh, I see, now I understand it (see screenshot). Many thanks for the help. 🙂

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Strobie
    Strobie
    Participant

Thankyou for the screenshot, but HOW did you do this?

When i try to patch surface 1 to input 1 it lets me. Then when i also try to patch input to to surface 1 it says that surface 1 is already assigned and i must unassign it.

I have like oked everywhere and cannot find the answer.

Profile photo of Strobie
    Strobie
    Participant

Ok so the correct answer is that you have to open mixrack tab and set inputs to be stereo instead of mono.

Then from their you can go into the patch and patch that stereo channel.

Pulling up the surface window, those inputs will show up as a singpe object that can then be dragged onto a fader.

Profile photo of riya
    riya
    Participant

Certainly! “According to the manual on page 41 (https://www.allen-heath.com/media/dLive-Firmware-Reference-Guide-V1.3.pdf), external inputs to a single stereo fader strip can be combined. However, for devices like CD players or media players connected directly to the surface, combining inputs on a single fader strip (not Gang group) would be preferable.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

The linked manual is outdated.

dLive Documents

The trick with the stereo channels is, that you need to configure them in the mix rack as stereo. Patching and processing are independent of each other.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Thankyou for the screenshot, but HOW did you do this?

When i try to patch surface 1 to input 1 it lets me. Then when i also try to patch input to [sic] to surface 1 it says that surface 1 is already assigned and i must unassign it.

I have like oked everywhere and cannot find the answer.

You cannot patch two preamps/inputs into the same channel. If you wish to connect a stereo input to the console, you must use two preamps and two channels on the console. So you patch Input 1 (left channel of stereo input) to Channel 1 and Input 2 (right channel of stereo input) into Channel 2. If you then go into the setup screen and stereo link channel 1&2, they will only take up a single fader position on the console, but it is really still two inputs and two channels being used. Hopefully that clears up any confusion you are having on the subject.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.