Studio Recordings With The QU Series?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Studio Recordings With The QU Series?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tofke78 Tofke78 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of turnstile
    turnstile
    Participant

Im revisiting buying a QU and am wondering if any of you have examples of studio work tracked and/or mixed with the QU series? Not really interested in live work, even though that’s who the board is aimed at. Thanks

Profile photo of Tofke78
    Tofke78
    Participant

Normally I use my Qu24 for live performances but once in a while I also do some home recording with it. When I compare this with my old analog Midas, the Qu sounds much clearer but I miss a lot of depht. It’s like there is some kind of high pass filter that is applied but every EQ, filter… is not active.

Profile photo of philmartins
    philmartins
    Participant

Hi Tofke78

I am interested by your point about sound quality.

I was about to buy a A&H GS-R24M but the QU series seems very interesting, especially when looking at the price.

So according to your ears, maybe I should stay with the GS-R24M?

Thanks for your answer

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I’d suggest a double blind test…

It’s so subjective

Profile photo of Tofke78
    Tofke78
    Participant

It’s a kind bizar because in live situations it’s the opposite. The sound has more “balls” than my old Midas, but when I record, I clearly can hear that there is some kind of loss in depth. When I check the analyzer, I also can see that the frequencies below 80Hz are a bit reduced. The overall sound quality is very good. Everything sounds very clear and bright but in my opinion with a lack/loss of depth. I can compensate this by EQing but I prefer not to do this because it’s always a guess how much depth I have to compensate to have the same sound colour when playbacking after recording…

For recording I use a Tascam SS CDR 200. I used the same Tascam with my old Midas.

But a very quick test learned me when I record with Qu-Drive (heard disk and internal recorder of the Qu) I don’t have that problem.

philmartins
    Participant

Huge thanks for your answer!

As I plan to use that desk only for studio use and with a mac pro, the recording feature is very important. This is a no go for me it that kind of filter is applied, especially in electronic music where you need huge bass.

Looks like I will go to the GS-R24M (I know it is a total different approach, but sound quality is the very first factor for me).

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I suspect that it isn’t a filter at all, just different response between preamps of different systems – possibly influenced by ageing components in an analogue system.

If sound quality is your first consideration then you owe it to yourself to hire both desks for a couple of days and do proper double blind trials… You’ll never know without hearing it for yourself.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

…if that problem relates to the tascam recorder only and does not exist on QuDrive (and probably USB) recordings, it does not judge the mixer quality at all but pointing out some potential impedance issue between the output (which one???) and the (analog???) recorder connection, right?
    Anyway, GS-R24M and Qu are totally different stories. Qu is digital right after the gain stage, the GS is full analog up to the recording and probably adds more “sound” to the signals as a Qu.
    Like Bob said: Its up to your ears to decide what they prefer.

philmartins
    Participant

Thanks Bob, that would be the best way to do it, to have the two desks in my studio for a while.

Thanks Andreas, totally agree that it is a total different story … I was just wondering if somebody else went down that path, switching from analog to digital considering sound quality.

I will try to see if I can borrow a QU series from a local shop and already do a comparison with the mackie …

The only thing I dont like with the mackie is that when it is full of channels, the mix tends to become harsh … I tried a GS3000 for a week and found that the same mix sounded totally different, so that is why I was thinking of the GS-R24M (as the GS3000 workflow was not good for me ==> two set of faders per channel).

I am wondering if I am in a “resistance to change” phase or just worried about sound quality 🙂 I will be 45 in a few months and maybe I become “rigid” 🙂 lol

Anyway, thanks all for your answers!

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

I think the basic question is where you want to make “your” sound. If you’re using plenty of outboard gear the Qu is somewhat more limited to connect external stuff (only mix outputs and channel resp. Stereo returns). If your sound is created digitally inside a DAW, I’d prefer to have a pure neutral recording without any color.
    I’m similar age, worked analog for decades (recording and live) and always moved further to the channel inputs when it comes to recording. Recently I’ve used the inputs from my audio interfaces since they provide more neutral and “scalable” sound than regular direct outs of Mixers I’ve worked on.
    With the Qu I’m personally pretty happy now…

philmartins
    Participant

Thanks Andreas.

I am using both VSTis and analog synths, so hybrid. For recording, I am not against having a little color, although it is not that important. For the mix, I am also hybrid, using hardware (lexicon reverb, analog effects chained in send-return) and plugins like UAD. Same for mastering, using hardware racks but also plugins.

Maybe the balance will be more about the workflow itself, where on an digital desk you are stuck with only one channel at a time, but you will answer that you dont tweak five channels at the same time anyway 🙂

I am still wondering what is the sound of standard mackie vs digital qu series …

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

I agree with Andreas, you should really think about your workflow. GS-R24 gives you many more routing options per channel, analogue EQ, valve channels, touch-sensitive faders (M version), a dedicated monitoring / foldback section, more comprehensive DAW control with dedicated transport, jogwheel, and a selection of MIDI modes including Tascam emulation, HUI etc. The firewire module has ADAT and WC connectivity and can run at 96kHz. It is designed ground up for studio recording.

Sound quality is always subjective. GS-R preamps are more sophisticated than Qu, spec-wise GS-R would give you overall wider frequency response, and less residual output noise. Does it make a difference to your ears? Only you can tell 🙂

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

…not sure why I’ve missed to add a sample… For this clip I’ve used the Qu just for multitrack recording directly from the instruments, mixed in a DAW: A Fine Mess (acoustic sampler). Didn’t spent too much time for the mix, just tried to get the video done fast…

Profile photo of Tofke78
    Tofke78
    Participant

I tried it with the L R outputs, I tried it with stereo mix outputs… all the same. The overall sound is great but you can hear and see a very clear kind of high pass filter. I also used the Tascam SS CDR 200 with my old Midas and then I didn’t have that souddifference. I record analogue and use cables of high quality (Van Damme) with Neutrik XLR connectors. The same I used with my old Midas console.

I really don’t have a clue or it’s the QU mixer’s influence or something else I oversee… When I use the Qu 24 live it’s sounds much greater than the old Midas mixer. So in that case it’s the opposite when recording.

I wish I knew the answer. For now I process the sound on the Qu 24 to compensate the “loss of depth”…

philmartins
    Participant

Thanks again to all. My decision is done, I will buy the GS-R24M!

Now I will focus on choosing the best deal, but will not be able to finalize it before mid March, but at least the choice is made!

All the best!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.