Store Input/Mix Stereo-Settings to a Scene and not to a Show

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Store Input/Mix Stereo-Settings to a Scene and not to a Show

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

At the moment the Scene Management of the SQ is just usable for “Festival” usage. That means as long as there are not recall filters per scene, a cue management and something like the Behringer X32 snippet management the scene management is almost unusable of theatrical or musical work. So what is left is to switch the settings of the desk between two band setups during a show. And it is seldom the case that two band are using the same two inputs for stereo sources.
    At the moment I use the SQ6 for some bands, I am working for as live sound engineer. So there is one Show and several scenes, one for each band. I dont like to use different shows on the SQ because the handling of shows is not that easy than switching scenes. But at the moment I always have to take care (and write it down) that after loading the scene the stereo assignments are changed according to the needs nof the band.
    I know, I can do that by using different shows as a workaround. But a workaround should be the least thing you should use in any case. Workaround means that there is an essential functionality missing.
    So, please store the stereo assignments to scenes and not to the show.
    Thank you.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

That is what it’s made for… different configuration, different show

Profile photo of guma
    guma
    Participant

Different manufacturers have different approaches to what is stored in a scene and what is stored in a show, but most of them have im common, that structural ( configurating) settings are part of a show and data settings are part of a scene. So most of the manufacturers have made routing, patching, number of busses etc a part of a show.

Behringer has choosen a path far away from this common practice, saving almost everything into a scene merely leaving the property ‘bundle of scenes’ to the show files. So as the ‘Behringer way’ is the exception i’m afraid that you have to change your storing behaviour and save ‘one band -> one show’

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Ok, let me explain my use case.
    I am often working for smaller festivals in summer where on the same day several band are playing one after each other. The festivals are not that big as, let’s say, Wacken and therefore it is not possible to apply an armada of FOH consoles together with a summing console. Furthermore there is just one console for all bands. If everything works fine it is time enough to to a basic soundcheck for each band right before the “festival” is opened for the audience. These desk configuration should be stored for later usage within the desk. A similar approach you will have when you do a club job with a main act and one or two supporting acts.

During the show and during the changeover a break music should be played and it also should be possible to use a microphone either to announce some things or just entertain the audience. the break music and the microphone should not be muted during the changeover.

At the moment I see that using shows will interrupt the break music an d also the microphone. Also changing the mono/stereo Assignment of the inputs will interrupt the audio signals. Ok, it will interrupt the signals for a shorter time on the SQ than on a dLive, but it will interrupt it. It is also not possible to change the output routing or other static things because they will be reverted when you load the show. Think about an additional matrix output for video, for example.
    On a dLive I can use ganging as a workaround to create stereo channels on the fly, but this way is currently not possible for the SQ. Maybe ganging will never be available for the SQ.
    So at the moment doing such jobs with the SQ have a lot of disadvantages for me as far as I can see.
    But probably someone here has a good idea to adopt my simple approach for the SQ.

And yes, the Behringer X32 is far away from being perfect. But the best would learn from the rest, that’s one of my credos;-)

SteffenR
    Participant

you didn’t understand it…?

the change at stereo channels and mix busses will change the internal processing in the XCVI Core
    If you store this in a scene it will break the audio after recall for reconfiguring the processing blocks.

It has nothing to do with your workflow, it’s a limitation on how the system is set up

I’m shure ganging will come or maybe a linking feature…

in the meantime… have the last 8 channels as stereo channels and change your patching as you need it
    changing the patch, doesn’t interrupt audio processing

PS: X32 has no stereo channels at all, it only links two channels and there parameters

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Hi Steffen.
    Thank you for the explanation. There will be reasons why A&H do it in that way even when a simple link of the processing parameters will give me, the operator, more or less the same result;-) But it isas it is and lets see what the future will bring.
    Nevertheless I hope you understand the reasons for my freature request.

Regards

SteffenR
    Participant

I understand the reason

on the dLive I have always configured 4 to 8 stereo channels
    I only change preamps and strip position where needed that’s it

I know that there are not that much channels on the SQ as on the dLive…
    but I’m shure we will see more features in next firmwares that help dealing with the daily buisness

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.