Stereo Mix Split?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Stereo Mix Split?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarkPAman MarkPAman 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of hobsound
    hobsound
    Participant

I often find the 4 mono mix sends on the Qu-16 aren’t enough and I hate to eat up the stereo mixes for a single wedge.
    I’m thinking it might be possible to split the output of Mix 5-6 (and 7-8, 9-10) using a female xlr to 2 female xlr (L-R) and use the pan on the mix to send to either or both.
    Anyone try that?

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

Not sure how you would use the Y cable. It still won’t split the stereo mixes. The problem is that there is only a single fader for each channel on the stereo mix layers, so you can’t change levels on Mix 5 without changing levels on Mix 6.
    You must eat up a stereo mix for a single wedge if you need more than 4 mono outputs.
    I’ve run into this issue a few times while using my Qu 16, especially on gigs in wide rooms that require outfill speakers for coverage of the room and I’m close to running out of outputs. Rather than using another mix output for that I’ll use the Alt Out, mirroring L/R and then I dial in the level using the attenuator pot just below the Q Drive. That frees up an extra mix while giving me level control of the outfill speakers.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

I still use what I used for distribution with my 14:4:2…

https://www.rane.com/sm26s.html

Rane “Swiss Army” splitter/combiner.

hobsound
    Participant

Dick, so how would you use that box on this situation, where I want to be able to pull 2 mono mixes from the stereo aux?

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

You cannot do what you’re thinking of. A work-around would be to do essentially identical mixes containing a limited number of variables between the mixes and use the Rane unit to re-mix them a bit.

Take a good look at the manual. You’ll see you have a pass-through on the main in/out, six channels which can be used as taps or inserts and a “mix out” stereo feed at the far end which could be used as two mono’s via insert panning.

You have to use your imagination, but there are a lot of useful routing possibilities. Hence the name “Swiss Army” mixer.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Panning is your friend – but adjustment is hard

hobsound
    Participant

Yeah, me thinks this isn’t going to work as I intended, but I’m going to experiment by splitting the output of a stereo mix into L and R and see how I can use the pan to adjust the mixes.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I’ll often give a pair of singers a stereo mix, as I find they’ll usually want pretty much the same stuff, and I can use the pan on the send to make each one a little louder than the other in their own monitor. Same thing works with brass sections too.

I find it usually works well, and can actually save time setting up & adjusting their mix, so it’s not only when running out of Mix Sends that I do this.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.