SQ to QU connections

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ to QU connections

Tagged: 

This topic contains 53 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of nottooloud nottooloud 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi All,

Keith has worked on a couple of great documents to show all possible connection scenarios:
    https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SQ5_SLinkConnections_V1_1_0.pdf
    https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SQ6_SLinkConnections_V1_1_0.pdf

An SLink I/O card is planned for later in the year. This will effectively give SQ mixers a second SLink port, allowing you to connect to another mixer and stageboxes at the same time, or to DX168 and ME-1 at the same time.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Nicola. Thanks. Those were pretty obvious but the question remains that the aforementioned idea of connecting a SQ to QU via dSnake>SLink is useless at this point unless you input via local connections and an analog copper snake. I watched the AH video on this and kind of gasp.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

At this point this appears to be a bridge to nowhere. Needs rethinking.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi George,

Thank you for your input, both here and through social media, however I must say, there are quite a few users who are really excited about this feature.
    Firstly, no, you are not missing anything – Qu has one port, so it is not possible to connect two different things to it.
    But with SQ, as I mentioned elsewhere, and Nic has mentioned here, we have an SLink card on the way, which will enable the use of two different connections/protocols, and therefore simultaneous connection of (for example) DX units and a Qu, or even Qu, SQ and dLive all in a row!

Your comment on this being a ‘bridge to nowhere’ seems a bit harsh.
    What we’ve done here is opened up an existing technology to work with a brand new product, it wasn’t planned at the point we were developing the Qu series, but we’ve worked on it because we believed it was useful, and users have overwhelmingly agreed.

Here are a few examples of where it could be a solution:

– SQ is used as a venue’s main desk, Qu can be used for a broadcast/streaming mix.
    – ‘Self contained’ group tours with Qu: can patch directly to FOH SQ and send post-preamp direct outs, but keep all personal monitoring control (and make their own recording if they want to!).
    – Rental company want a more modular system: Qu-SB can be used alone, or setup to run similar to a remote audio unit for an SQ, with the only caveat being control of preamps via iPad, which are often not adjusted frequently after their initial setup.
    – FoH/Monitor setup – sends from either the SQ or Qu can be set to insert point, and audio is two way, so although you wouldn’t be able to run things in the same was as you would with a set of large format digital consoles, it is certainly a usable solution for many situations.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Keith. Didn’t mean to be harsh just pointing out the current state of things. In my original comment I think I said ‘at this point’. I had read about the future card but that creates a one direction solution for most users. SQ has to be FOH. While that’s probably ok I was just making my point. When I watched the video with the tech hooking two consoles together I was immediately thinking ‘bridge to nowhere’.

Profile photo of jakethepeg
    jakethepeg
    Participant

Thanks for clarifying Keith and Nicola – are there any plans to enable audio sharing between 2 Qu devices?

Profile photo of lightingman117
    lightingman117
    Participant

Jakethepeg,

Why? You can’t add more ‘ghost’ channels to switch to? Having two Qu devices connected removes the ability to have stage racks or ME-U systems.

The only thing I can see is direct outs for a broadcast mixer. (I for one would rather have other things added on the Qu; but to each their own).

jakethepeg
    Participant

Yes, I can see the reasons for not wanting it! And it shouldn’t be top of the list..

It’s just I have a Qu16 and Qu32 and it would be useful in a local school if they could share audio as a monitor/FOH setup. School is all setup with copper snakes so stage racks and Me-u don’t matter for this.

Thanks, Jake

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Jake – If my understanding is correct, the Qu series do not have the ability to accept a clock source form an external device. This means that there can not be any system with 2 Qu desks connected digitally to each other, as each needs to be the master clock.
    I guess an interface box could be designed built, though this would add latency and I doubt that enough people would want one to make it viable anyway.

jakethepeg
    Participant

Thanks Mark, I had missed that point – makes sense!

Profile photo of Tubolymedia
    Tubolymedia
    Participant

Hello!
    SQ6(F.O.H.)-AR2412-Qu24(monitor mixer and inputs)
    is it possible to connect?

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

SQ6(F.O.H.)-AR2412-Qu24(monitor mixer and inputs)
    is it possible to connect?

Not currently. You will need 2 SLink connections to do this. You will need to add an Slink card when they are released.

Art

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Oh really?
    My understanding is they will connect the existing ports but you would need to use an analogue multi-core for inputs until such time as the SLink card is available?
    Unfortunately I don’t have a SQ yet…

Profile photo of Tubolymedia
    Tubolymedia
    Participant

Hi!

AR2412 Monitor port ==>SQ6
    AR2412 Dsnake port ==>Qu24
    not possible?

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Tubolymedia,

That is not supported I’m afraid.

Thanks!

Alex

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.