Speaker processing/x-over with dLive

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Speaker processing/x-over with dLive

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mr-B Mr-B 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Steve
    Steve
    Participant

We have our first dLive system arriving within the next week or so – starting with the CDM32 and will mix via a Surface Pro until the summer festival season kicks-up (at which point a C2500 will be ordered).

What would you recommend for speaker processing/DSP/crossover?

We currently have a number of dbx VENU360s but I’m afraid they are likely going to impede the dLive sound quality. Our FOH rig consists of JTR Speakers Noesis 3TXs and Orbit Shifters; we do mostly live sound for small-to-mid-size festivals and venues.

Was looking at XTA options, but was curious what everyone else is using.

Profile photo of PVH
    PVH
    Participant

LM26 as stand alone processor or amps with build in processing like PLM12K44, my personal favourite is Powersoft X-series

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

in small Venues is the powersoft too loud, the fans…
    maybe this is better
    https://linea-research.co.uk/44m-series/

Profile photo of erniep-23
    erniep-23
    Participant

We have found the k series of powersoft quieter than the fans in the x series. We are looking at the Linea amps as well but the software needs some modernization.

Profile photo of PVH
    PVH
    Participant

You probably tested the first series of X-amps with their loud fans.
    They changed them quite a while ago, and they are whispering quiet now.
    You know when you have the old fans when upon starting the amps, the fans make a short loud whooshing sound, the new ones don’t do this.

Profile photo of Mark Oakley
    Mark Oakley
    Participant

I’ve been a Xilica user for the last 18 years and I think they sound great. I’ve got an older DLP 4080 and I noticed a sonic improvement the first time I used it. The newer XD line has AES In/Out at 24/96, so there shouldn’t be any degradation with this option. https://xilica.com/products/xd/

-Mark

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

The Xilicas are very good… but he Needs an amp as well

Profile photo of Steve
    Steve
    Participant

Hi Gang,

Well, I decided to go with the LM44. And my bad – we do have amps – a mix of PL380 and PLD4.5 from QSC. Was just looking for replacement crossover/processing device (we had dbx VENU360).

Another dumb question… is there a way to use a Dante card with the CDM32 to get it to talk with the LM44? I’m hoping the answer is yes. 🙂

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

is there a way to use a Dante card with the CDM32 to get it to talk with the LM44? I’m hoping the answer is yes.

Yes. As long as you’re not using another card as there’s only 1 card slot on the CDM32.

Profile photo of Steve
    Steve
    Participant

Awesome – thanks!

It looks like I only need to order the M-DANTE card, right? Install that into the CDM32 and then link it with the LM44 and in theory, I’ll have full digital from the CDM32 to the LM44, at which point I’ll convert to analog and send signal to amplifiers?

I couldn’t find an exact part number/info on the A&H site, so this is a guess on my side. I’ve used Dante in some seminars/trainings for Smaart and other systems – just not certain what’s required by A&H to get audio passing into the LM44.

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

you need a device adapter M-DL-ADAPT for the installation, because the M-Dante card does not fit directly into the dLive slot.
    look here: https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/adapter/
    more details can tell you the AH dealer.

your Dante system must then be managed in the Dante manager. it’s no problem to send the data between devices from different vendors. you just have to make sure that only one device is the master. but such small details are part of the basic knowledge of digital networks.

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

Dante is easy with PLM 12k44’s not noisy at all, fed direct from the Dante card in mix rack, Back up sent via AES card, belt and braces Analogue outputs also if you want.
    Rock solid mains and monitors down a Cat6 or fibre cable.
    Sounds great plus plenty of control.
    Highly recommend.
    Regards
    Ian B.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.