Simple MIDI control for Qu-PAC?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration Simple MIDI control for Qu-PAC?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rob-GER Rob-GER 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Peter Ostry
    Peter Ostry
    Participant

Hi, I am new in this forum and just got a Qu-PAC which I want to use for live performance with several instruments and hardware FX. I already understand most parts of it, but the first serious problem is simple MIDI control of faders and pan. I use MIDI via USB.

I read the user- and MIDI-manual a couple of times and see the NRPN messages coming from the mixer. Oops, I did not expect that NRPN is needed, my controller is not happy with that.

But I think it is possible to use simple Channel/Controller/Value events to control basic functions of the mixer, right? But how? I don’t find a list of channels and controller numbers and trial&error doesn’t bring me on the right path.

Please don’t tell me, that NRPN is absolutely necessary …

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

If you don’t want to hear that the Qu uses NRPN to control most functions, you probably won’t get an answer at all… 😉
    Since you obviously connect your Qu to some PC/Mac, there’s Bome’s MIDI Translater which should be able to translate between Qu protocol and whatever is needed from your controller.

Peter Ostry
    Participant

I am on a Mac and the controller is a Gordius. NRPN would not be a problem via the Mac, but I want to use the Qu also without the computer as I did before, with a controllable rackmixer.

Question 1:
    My intention was to use the “Kenton MIDI USB Host” to feed the Qu-PAC directly from the controller. Could that work, basically?

Question 2:
    I made a MIDI strip on the Qu (custom layer) and from the Mac I can send CC#0 on channel 1 to move the fader. Fine, at least a reaction. But I don’t know how to control an input, mix send or pan this way. Is it possible?

Peter Ostry
    Participant

SOLVED!

I can control the Qu-PAC without a computer 🙂

Inspected the fader NRPN messages coming from the Qu and fortunately there is no high resolution necessary. CC99 and CC98 determine the target, CC06 is the continuous value and CC38 is always 7. Means, for a fader I have to send 3 static events and only 1 variable. My Gordius controller can do this.

… and the missing hardware link: Kenton MIDI USB Hub
    It works with the Qu-PAC Firmware 1.9 – in one direction only, but fortunately to the Qu, which is all I need.

Simple setup:

null

For people who want to receive Qu messages via the Kenton hub:
    This might be a problem, mine shows no MIDI out.

Profile photo of Lape1988
    Lape1988
    Participant

I have a similar problem.
    I ordered the qu sb and want to control it via midi on some special shows. Do you know if it would be possible to control it with something like the behringer x-touch ?

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I control my QU16 using a BCF2000 and a raspberry pi running android.

So it’s possible, it takes a little setting up though.

The Pi is running a beta version of RTAndroid (and it is Beta, it is NOT my primary interface), but is good because I get a touchscreen, keyboard and BCF2000 whilst still being able to provide mains power.
    Any Android tablet which supports USB OTG should be able to do the same (and I have used some) but beware battery life…

You need Mixing Station *Pro* to enable the USB Midi control on android btw…

Profile photo of Lape1988
    Lape1988
    Participant

Would it be possible with iPad + midi too? Can u customize mixstation? I thought about buying the Samsung view 18″ touch screen and it would be nice to see all 16 faders!

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Not with the iPad version

Profile photo of Rob-GER
    Rob-GER
    Participant

Maybe some dumb questions, but how do you manage to switch to control channels 9-32, st1-3 etc. since both the BCF2000 and the X-Touches only have eight faders?
    I would love to have bank-wise switching to channel strips 1-8, 9-16,… etc. Is this possible?

Do faders automatically assign and move to correct positions when switching to anohter than the main mode (e.g. send mode to groups, mixed, mtxes)?

Thanks!

Profile photo of Rob-GER
    Rob-GER
    Participant

Edit: And would all this be possible without a Computer and/or Mixing Station, just as Peter Ostry described above? So just controlling the Qu-pac directly via a BCF2000 or Behringer Xtouch (Compact)?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.