setting up a crossover

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions setting up a crossover

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of hopcazz hopcazz 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of hopcazz
    hopcazz
    Participant

Hi all
    Another newbie question. i have a set of bose 802 and 302’s and currently we run them through the Bose controller with the 802 linked through the 302 bass bin i would like to run them seperately but want to not use the controller this is not necessarily a problem as i can run through the matrix of the gld80 but how would i go about setting up the crossover point might be stupid question. On the other hand having the desk a fortnight and having run sound for Songhoy Blues with the desk after a fiew days with the desk i have found the desk is a very nice desk

Thanks in advance
    Carwyn

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

The GLD doesn’t have a crossover. Do you have an external one? I would suggest you stick with the Bose controller. It is specific to those speakers and has other processing going on in it. External eould probably work but not sure what you would improve on.

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

If Bose are all you have here is how I would set that system up. First you need to realize Bose always mis-names their products.They call an equalizer a “controller” and they call column speakers “line arrays”.

That said, their controller is nothing more than an equalizer with a big smily face EQ curve. I did a freq response analysis of their “controller” years ago and the plot is long gone. You will have to duplicate it if you do not run their “controller”. With a few XLR cables you have the ability to analyze the controller with only the GLD80, a pen and paper. Of you know how to use spreadsheets you can easily enter the data and find an average gain offset then center the whole group around zero dB.

Use your sig gen and set it at one the GLD EQ center freq. Feed the GLD output to the Bloze EQ input and measure the gain through the box using an input channel meter. Next find the center frew of the band adjacent and re-measure. You only care about the difference band-to-band. Plot this on paper or spread sheet and you have their EQ curve that can be set on the GLD output EQ.

Cross over the LF speakers at about 100 to 120 hz. I would not cross them much lower.

Good luck

John

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

But why do it if you have their controller? Let it do the work for you. Why reinvent the wheel so to speak? I have installed a few Bose distributed system. Not my first choice. Customers choice. But the controllers did make a big difference. I think there is some compression in there also especially on the pro systems. Sure it can be duplicated but again. Why bother?

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

I agree. Leave it in. But I wanted to offer an option.

John

Profile photo of hopcazz
    hopcazz
    Participant

Thanks for the opinions i shall just leave as is but split the tops and bottoms from their box rather than otherwise

Talk Soon
    Carwyn

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.