Scene Recall Puzzle

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Scene Recall Puzzle

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Joe Hinkens Joe Hinkens 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Joe Hinkens
    Joe Hinkens
    Participant

GLD80 running v1.50 fw

Four our setup, we use just one ‘Show’ with one ‘Scene’. An hour ago I wanted to recall an old ‘Show’ previously saved to a USB stick so that I could compare a few old settings with the new ones. I went into the Setup>Memory>Show Manager and could see that the older ‘Show’ had the same name as the current one so I renamed the current ‘Show’ before copying it to the USB stick. This way I would have a secure backup of our current Show and Scene.

Next, I recalled the old show from the USB stick and loaded up the scene. After checking a few things, I recalled our newest Show and Scene only to find that much of the configuration did not return to its original state. Channel EQ, compressors, fader levels, gain settings, etc did not restore to the original settings. The only thing we’ve ever ‘safe’d’ was the master fader. Everything else should have been recalled.

I’m in a bit of a panic trying to figure out what I could have done wrong.

Thanks,
    Joe

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

The obvious thing is that you may have renamed the wrong show file. They had the same name, how would you know?

It seems fairly unlikely that the recall filters are anything to do with it, a show file is an absolute sort of thing. I may be wrong though, make sure you have nothing blocked in either the master scene safes or in the scenes own recall filters and recall the scene again.

Chris

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Did the latest show scene contain everything – ie was it a “store all” scene? If it had been edited to contain less information or wasn’t a store all then that could explain your situation. Also – when was the last time you actually “saved” your show? You said you renamed it, and copied it to the USB but did you save it first? If not then when you load that back it will only recall the show as it was stored which may have been some time ago. Note that saving a “scene” is not actually stored anywhere permanent until the show that contains it is saved!

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

I believe a show will default to recall scene 1. Did you recall the scene in the freshly loaded show you wanted to compare?

Profile photo of Joe Hinkens
    Joe Hinkens
    Participant

Stix wrote:

You said you renamed it, and copied it to the USB but did you save it first? If not then when you load that back it will only recall the show as it was stored which may have been some time ago. Note that saving a “scene” is not actually stored anywhere permanent until the show that contains it is saved!

Stix,
    I think you nailed it. I’m feeling pretty lame right about now. As you can see from my original post (spelling errors, grammar errors) it was late and I was tired. I’m pretty sure I failed to ‘Overwrite’ the Show. After reviewing my steps, I think I made the erroneous assumption that saving scenes automatically saved it to a show. I’ve been diligent at saving scenes but not so much with shows. I won’t let that happen again. 🙁 This is another one I’ll chalk up to user error.

After looking over the ‘Show Manager’ page I noticed the save button is titled ‘Overwrite’, yet on the ‘Scenes Manager’ page, the save button is titled ‘Store’. Maybe it’s just me, but I thought it might make sense to have them both labeled the same for the sake of consistency.
    My mistake is purely my mistake and completely user error, but perhaps relabeling the buttons would help prevent another rookie like me from experiencing the same thing.

Thanks to everyone for the quick reply.
    Joe

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.