RTA – GEQ

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions RTA – GEQ

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 11 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of DavidCo DavidCo 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of DanZ
    DanZ
    Participant

Hello !
    I have sold my Behringer XR18 and bought a QU-PAC. The XR18 was great, but… I felt like the sound was not large and separated enough when all the instruments are playing togther and loud. So let’s see with the QU….

I have just tested my new QU-PAC for 2 small live shows. Only 2 instruments…
    For now it sound great !

1) I have a Sonarworks XREF Microphone plugged in an QU XLR Input

Is it possible to tune the main LR GEQ while visualizing the QU-RTA of the mic together on the same screen?

I was not able to do it on the iPad

2) How to mute/unmute all the 4 fx in one button?

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

“Is it possible to tune the main LR GEQ while visualizing the QU-RTA of the mic together on the same screen?”

Sadly not, a feature that many have asked for. This is a great feature that is already implemented within the X32 structure, would be nice for it to find it’s way across on to the QU product line.

Assign your FX send or returns to a soft key so you can mute/unmute with one button, I haven’t got my desk in front of me at the minute so cannot give you a step by step of how to set that up.

Profile photo of David J.
    David J.
    Participant

I have both. About the sound I have to say that sound both really good, but different. If I have to be honest, I miss some functions on Qu-Pac on iPad or tablet, like a RTA per channel, and the most important for me, computer editor, for me essential in a concert, For this reason I use more X18 and computer several time, very efficient.

I think A & H should figure out some Behringer functions and incorporate it, It would be necessary, I think.

Profile photo of David Haughton
    David Haughton
    Keymaster

Hi both, it’s not possible to view the on-screen RTA (under Home>RTA) and the LR GEQ processing tab at the same time with Qu-Pac, but if you have Qu-Pad you can view one on the touchscreen and the other on the iPad. On Qu-16, 24 & 32, you have the RTA information on the channel meters when in GEQ Fader Flip mode. Hope this helps.
    Cheers.
    Harry.

Profile photo of DanZ
    DanZ
    Participant

And another screen to start the pink noise and modulate the volume ๐Ÿ™

Can you group in the next QU PAC or iPad update an unique screen or at last in tabs close together

1) Signal generator to select the LR or AUX outs and volume
    2) select the microphone track to PAFL it only
    3) go and edit on GEQ of the main LR
    4) go on the RTA screen to visualize

Or better : add just one button that automatically start the pink noise and adjust the GEQ of one audio out, by analyzing the RTA of one mic input

Can we dream? ๐Ÿ™‚

I will have my first live show tonight with full band. Now This is a bit stressful. This operation need to go on many screens that are very far one to another

On the fist small show, I had to let the noise for 5 minutes to be able to tune it.
    Some important people were already in the hall, and they asked me to stop this noise !

Please ๐Ÿ™‚ we need to be confident

By the way, I really start to love the QU-PAC ! And more than the XR18. The PC app was great, but the A&H iPad app is COMPLETE and I don’t need anything else than a small iPad mini. With the XR, I had to carry the PC to have full control of the mixer

I tuned the reverb and delay to my own taste,and it is almost perfect. There definitely something interesting with this reverb

I hope all will be OK tonight with the 5p musicians band in big hall

Let me know if someone else

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I think it would be great if we had a medium fast sine sweep with results displayed in a frequency display. Pink noise is not such a great method any longer and is hard to do unless the room is empty. A sweep much like the newer dbx driveracks have would be better, faster. No one would know what it is and it goes by so fast they are none the wiser.

Profile photo of knga
    knga
    Participant

It would be nice having RTA on channels or master, but unfortunately Qu series don’t offer that, but offer some other great things in comparisson with X32.

When I tweak my system I do it like that: I open RTA window on screen to see which frequencies are causing feedback when pushing system really loudly, and I also use my GEQ on faders at the same time, so I can tweak system and see RTA at same time.

Profile photo of J3phMP
    J3phMP
    Participant

Does anyone use a DBX Driverack with their QU mixer…. What EQ settings do you start with so as they are not interfering with each other. Do you set the DBX to a flat EQ and refine your sound with the QU? Does it cause conflict?

Profile photo of DanZ
    DanZ
    Participant

Ok !

My live show yesterday with the QU-PAC was very good. I am happy to have this model over the XR18

I was able to use 5 stereo IEM ! (3 stereo out + Alt out on group 1-2 + Main QUPAC phones and pafl group 2-3 main)

Every musician was very happy about the sound and the QU-YOU app. It is very good to have iPhone and Android, because this will cover 90% of musicians ๐Ÿ™‚

XR18 doesn’t have for iphone

1) One suggestion for QU YOU : why not having one mode starting with all the selected tracks immediately. the relative ‘ More me ‘ knobs are interesting, but then if you want to change another channel, they need to double tap, etc…
    I would prefer to just have the 8 ( or 16 / 32…) tracks available directly while opening the app. It would be so much easy to explain to the musicians.

(by the way we had a bug with the iphone qu you, while the virtual knob did not work, but double tap and adjust volume worked. Don’t know why, as in our first test, both worked)

2) For the RTA, I had to use the QU-PAC touch screen to start the pink noise and adjust the volume + one ipad to adjust the GEQ + the davidgiga android app to see the RTA of the mic. A bit crazy but was ok.

3) I wanted to add some reverb on one IEM (aux) I have discovered that I can’t get reverb on aux, if the mic track fader on LR is at 0. WHY?
    Even if FX are post fader, they should still be sent on the AUX and not be linked to the LR track fader

The overall sound quality is better with the QU than with the XR, especially when many musicians are playing loud together
    I very like the reverb and delay preset that I have tuned, based on the A&H library. It sound better than most reverb unit that I have used in the past
    I had NO time to tune too much the EQ etc… so I really enjoyed to load the B52 EQ preset on kick, compression presets etc….

4) Still I don’t know if I can ON / OFF the 4 FX with one soft button?

I have recorded the show with the QU-Drive…. I am curious to listen to it soon…

5) Is it possible to get POST FADER meters? I like to SEE if someone is louder. not only listen to it ๐Ÿ™‚
    The 2 meters are important. At gain input and final post fader.

6) with the colors of the meters on the iPad, It is a bit hard to see when we are at 0 db and when we clip. Maybe put the 0db line a bit bold

….. In one word …. The QU-PAC is AMAZING !

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

You can just leave a musician in the ‘fader bank’ behind one of the wheels…

Profile photo of Dr. J
    Dr. J
    Participant

J3 – I use the DBX 260 as my primary system controller. It acts as the crossover for my speakers and also has the tool set I need to set the system up correctly.

I use Post Parametric EQ’s on the output side of the Driverack for Direct Field Speaker Correction. These settings are also called “Tunings” which correct any flaws that the speaker may present. ALL speakers have flaws so some DSP may be in order to help smooth out the response.
    Proper crossover settings and time alignment settings will also help to maintain the frequency response of the system.
    And finally, limiters on the Driverack for a little system protection. Nothing beats a good gain structure though.

The Qu mixer and the Driverack 260 have a perfect marriage in Input and Output (+22dBu) so there isn’t anything to do to set the gain structure there…. Just use good board gain structure and the Driverack will follow..

The Tunings for my speakers allow me to keep my board “Neutral” for the most part. This means I use my Main Out Parametric to deal with room issues… Not the Driverack. I haven’t touched my Driverack Tunings in years and do not plan too unless I add a new piece of gear into the mix.

Once the Main Out Eq is used to handle room issues – I begin to mix using the channel strip EQ’s wherever needed. I do not use any of the graphic EQ’s onboard the Driverack or the Qu. I just don’t need them.

Hope this helps answer your question..

Profile photo of DavidCo
    DavidCo
    Participant

knga: RTA follows PAFL. Once you PAFL the master strip, it will optionally follow the master strip when switching between mixes, including whilst in GEQ flip.

Also remember that while in GEQ flip, the channel meters also show RTA information, the peak LED indicating the strongest frequency.

DC

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.