Record external FX to multitrack USB drive?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Record external FX to multitrack USB drive?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Bronco Bronco 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bronco
    Bronco
    Participant

I just can’t figure out on how to record my external FX to USB drive when using multitrack. For stereo, it works fine. I would appreciate if someone could help me here. Got a Strymon Big Sky as an external FX. Goes from MIX Out 7/8 to Big Sky to Stereo 2 in. But for some reason when using multitrack USB to external hard drive, all tracks are dry, exept track 17/18.
    Anyone knows what I might be doing wrong here?

Happy New Year! πŸ™‚

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The multitrack channels are direct channel output recordings. Generally effects are returned into the stereo mix so that’s why the stereo mix tracks recorded on 17 & 18 have your effects return recorded.

During the multitrack mixdown session is where you would re-apply effects, it may be better as effects used and mixed for a live show may not the best choice for a mix to listen to on your home stereo in the living room.

If you wanted you could go into the IO set up and assign a couple tracks just to your effects return, that way could mix them back in as needed.

Profile photo of Bronco
    Bronco
    Participant

Thanks for the reply, Mike. Appreciate it!
    I’m doing improvised electronic music and what I really want to do is to to be able to multitrack a few stems, so I have the possibility to modify a little, if wanted. But I really want to avoid “proper” mixing and adding effects again. As soon as I open a DAW my creativity dies. I’ll try to see if I can figure out IO setup, you suggested for some effect returns. Thanks again!

Profile photo of Bronco
    Bronco
    Participant

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Actually, you CAN have the effect on the direct out IF you return it to the channel/Mix/Group as an INSERT having selected POST INSERT from the USB routing screen.

I think it’s page 38 of the user guide.

Of course if you return to a channel, I think you’re limited to using a separate engine for each channel, so you’d have to use a Mix or Group as the send and insert the effect back into it if you need the same effect on multiple channels. It’s a matter of priorities vs possibilities, but you COULD do up to four channels with the four FX engines.

Limited, yes. Possible…yeah.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

This is about an external effects unit, which is, of course, really just another input source.

The default recording setup for the QU-Drive is inputs 1 > 16 + L&R, so something plugged into St2 will not be recorded on its own tracks – though will be part of the mix recorded on 17&18

Solution 1 is to repatch the QU-Drive inputs in the routing screen, to include St2. This is also how you’d record the internal effects.

Solution 2 is to use (for example) Ch 15&16 to get the effects into the desk – probably with the link function enabled.

MarkPAman
    Participant

Pic attached I hope

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Oopsie…

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Your solution #2 as pictured would do it.
    To be honest even though I was looking right at your question I kinda
    glazed over the part about an external FX unit.

What FX unit are using and what does it do the internal FX can not.
    Just recently I did need/could have used a pitch shift special FX for a speaking line in
    a play (think Darth Vader) and I could not come up with a way to do it.

MarkPAman
    Participant

You really need to read that first post too, Mike πŸ˜€ —- “Got a Strymon Big Sky as an external FX”

Yep, you’re right though, I’ve had occasions when a pitch shift would come in handy too. Really shouldn’t have got rid of all my old effects units, but somebody made such a good offer for the whole rack + cables & I hadn’t used any of it for over a year…..

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Funny how the brain or mine at least edits out what it wants to when reading something!!

I still have two systems worth of effects and insert racks that have hardly seen any use in the past couple years. There loaded with nice stuff, BSS, Drawmer, TC Electronic, Lexicon and lone ARX six gate! All last year they just kept getting pushed further into the back corner of work shop.

Just think, within maybe two more generations of soundmen/women the art of patching up a full analog FOH system will be lost forever!

Let us know how the IO patching works for your effects return multitrack recording.

Profile photo of Bronco
    Bronco
    Participant

Thanks for all the help. I’ll dive into it this weekend and see if I can get it sorted. Cheers!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.