Qu-Drive Compatibility Thread

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu-Drive Compatibility Thread

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 60 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of David Haughton David Haughton 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

…maybe its already there and I’m just blind, but

shouldn’t we have a sticky QuDrive Compatibility Thread to exchange experiences which devices work and which not?

On my side I successfully operated various USB HDDs and know that the SanDisk Extreme sticks will work as well.

Just received a tiny SanDisk UltraFit 64GB to experiment with, and this will hang both enumeration (if formatted with Fat32) and formatting (if I delete the partition first) on the Qu(32). Stick works well even with USB 2.0 on XP/Mac/Win7 so I guess some protocol issues (could trace it down with a USB analyzer if helpful).

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Saw that V1.6 had some fixes on QuDrive, sadly my 64GB SanDisk UltraFit stick still does not work (and the desk needs a power cycle to accept my USB HDD again). Just to mention…

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I’ve just acquired a USB extension cable that has the cable exit at 90 degrees to the plug, so when I plug it into the QU it will go straight off to the right, out of the way of everything. Should protect the desk and drive against accidental knocks. The phones will still be tall there, but my ST3 cable is also a right angle connector so that people brushing past, or me turning round/reaching over the desk, don’t knock into “tall” things on the desk and accidentally snap a connector…

I’ll report back on how well it works. I actually got a short USB3 lead, so the Sandisk Extreme can be velcro’d to the underside of the desk (or just left dangling, can’t decide if I could tolerate adhesive, even on the underside of the desk). Maybe I’ll use a cable clamp on one of the rack fixing points….

Profile photo of Pete
    Pete
    Participant

I bought a SanDisk UltraFit 32GB and it did not work with the QU 24 at all. A shame really as the very small profile would be ideal as it wouldn’t risk getting knocked about like the tall Extreme, in fact it could have been left in place even when putting the mixer away.

Profile photo of ian.hind
    ian.hind
    Participant

I’ve been using a 64GB Lexar S33 perfectly fine. It’s been through about a week or two of use and no dropouts yet (knock on wood).

I got it on sale for about $30, less than $0.50 a GB.

Profile photo of ian.hind
    ian.hind
    Participant
    Profile photo of buzzfry
    buzzfry
    Participant

im totally new to this mixer QU-16 im picking it up wed from guitar center . first off what hard drive will work with the q drive system and dose it have to be powered . I thought I saw a video where they were demoing a hard drive but it looked like it was just usb real slim and no sing of a power cord. and maybe im in the wrong forum but I use presonus studio one 2 pro DAW cant seem to get a answer from presonus other than they don’t have time to test every mixer . I like that software and really hope its compatible with the QU-16 im buying any body have any answers . I have been using the presonus 16.0.2 mixer Thank you everybody

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

QuDrive Compatibility Thread

Great idea!
    and you have started it!
    we do seem to cross over and change topics so maybe the starting of these threads again will be a help for searching.
    I have not had any sucess with the Sandisk ultra. I wasted so much time and money buying from different batches and also accidently buying them again…
    The SanDisk I have had great sucess with is the Sandisk Ultra.
    I know its chunky however I need to have certain gadgets on yellow strings etc.. as have so many little bits of devices I carry around.

Andreas, can you explain what you mean by

desk needs a power cycle to accept my USB HDD

Are you referring to initial start up, power-on like in top of the AC cycle?

Profile photo of John-B
    John-B
    Participant

Hi Buzzfry,

for Qu-Drive compatibility, you need to go to this link:
    https://allen-heath.helpserve.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/774/268/qu-drive–understanding-qu-drive-and-usb

The drive I use from that list is NOT externally powered and works great. I recorded a show a little over 2 hours in length (all 18 tracks, and no dropouts etc.) Also, for your Presonus Studio One, are you using MAC or PC? The Qu-16 works great with the Mac’s Core Audio drivers. If you’re using PC, then you’ll probably need to download & install the Windows drivers that A & H has for the QU mixer, located here: https://www.allen-heath.com/key-series/qu-series/#tab5

You’ll need to create a user account to for downloading software & firmware.
    Good luck,
    John

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

@dhak:

desk needs a power cycle to accept my USB HDD

When I’m trying to use the small SanDisk Ultra Fit the QuDrive port completely giving up and I have to switch off/on the desk in order to get anything else recognized. Still crossing fingers that this small stick is supported in the future, in the meantime I’ll also use the Extreme…

Profile photo of buzzfry
    buzzfry
    Participant

oh ya I am using a mac with the latest install of mavericks iMac 3.5 gh with 16 gig ram and a 1 tb hard drive I just ordered a Seagate plus it was on the list of drives that had been tested to work with the QU-16 I think it was 500 gb if it don’t work the worst case is it will become a time machine for my wife’s iMac. im glad that these usb thumb drives are cheep I will have to experiment with a couple . worst case with them is ill use them for my td-30 drum module for putting on my vex kits cant have enough vex kits LOL. I had downloaded the midi drivers from the website for the mac . I know im putting the cart in front of the horse I pick up my QU-16 probably weds but by then everything I have ordered will be here . I just don’t like needing something and it not be here . thanks I will let you know if my software jives with my hardware. until then its lots of reading the pfd manual and finding videos on YouTube thanks again

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

My USB cable is working well – just tucks the USB stick out of harms way..

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thanks Andreas, I thought that was the case.
    Bob could you post a link so I can see that right angle USB adaptor?
    It sounds like the thing I should invest in!
    Ive noticed all of the Mac extension are sooo tight when using them?
    I guess thats a fear of conectivity.
    As they say in the video world.. every connection looses 20%
    However Ive been using 5 meter extensions to my hard drives in my studio with no problem moving 30 -40 gigs of data!

Welcome Buzzfry you sound keen as mustard.

oh well Monday morning here. Monday blues!

Profile photo of buzzfry
    buzzfry
    Participant

thank you gentlemen it’s great to have a back up group to pick your brains for info incase I get stuck best regards be back soon

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I’ve been looking for it on eBay again, I’ll post when I find a current item (or I might try to hotlink the image)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Qu-Drive Compatibility Thread’ is closed to new replies.